Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Reading with 16 year old students    

Reading with 16 year old students

mamidenacho
Spain

Reading with 16 year old students

I have to read Dorian Grey �s portrait with my 16 year-old students. They hate it. What can I do to make it more attractive to them?

8 Oct 2011      

starrr
Brazil

Find the movie in DVD and make them watch it first reading the book...or u can pass a part of the movie and follow reading the same part in the book and follow again passing the other parts of the movie and reading with them the same other parts...all together and in its sequence stopping in the last scene and asking them to write the possible ending of the history... in the movie and in the book.. they can do a comparative table saying what the book has different from the movie they have watched and other questions u can provide for them. hope it helps....

8 Oct 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

I suggest starting by telling them about the writer ( a very special one!), his lifestyle, his attire, his likes and dislikes...
Then I would tell them some of his witty sentences ( I made some worksheets on this, which I can send you).
All this should make them love him.

Good luck!

8 Oct 2011     

mamidenacho
Spain

Thank you Pilarham, for your offer. Having your worksheets would be great!

8 Oct 2011     

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

I will be using the same book with my students and I was thinking as a warm up to "play" with the title.For example bring in portraits from famous people they know-ask them why do famous people have their portraits painted-what personalities they are and so on-then "play" with Gray-you know like the colour ,if it �s a happy colour or not-leading to making predictions for the author and hiw character and then move on to what Pilarham suggested and so on.
I �m still trying to put it in order in my head.Hope I �ve been of some help...

8 Oct 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

The title, of course. Wilde was always so playful: gold and grey (Dorian Gray), contrast, change, innocence and decandence.

8 Oct 2011     

libertybelle
United States

If they hate Dorian Grey, the last thing you want to do is bore them with trivial facts about the author. Knowing about the author won �t make them understand or like the story any better.  Just the opposite.

Kids today would rather see and read stuff they can relate to.
Perhaps you could find other stories and compare them.
Or compare his not growing older with the Peter Pan syndrome
or even the fact that people today don �t want to grow old.
Try and take a look at the advertising business today and all
the stuff to make people "look younger".  Perhaps your students can
better relate that way - then read a chapter and see the film.

good luck
L

8 Oct 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

Trivial facts about the author?...

9 Oct 2011