Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > from a long time ago...??    

from a long time ago...??

kinho
Brazil

from a long time ago...??

Dear friends, is it possible to say: I knew her from a long time ago. ? I wrote it on the board, but then thought it wasn�t correct since from gives the idea of origin... I think the correct is only I knew her a long time ago. Am I right?  Thanks  and hugs for u all!!!

16 Nov 2011      

maryse pey�
France

Both sound unfamiliar to me.

I would say : I met her for the 1st time long ago.

In my opinion.

16 Nov 2011     

ruisleipa
Finland

Hi,

Yes, �I knew her from a long time ago � can be said, but it implies that you no longer know her. If you still know her of course you can say �I know her from a long time ago �, meaning that you have known her a long time.

�I knew her a long time ago � means you no longer know her and lost contact - surprise - a long time ago. Hope that helps! :)

16 Nov 2011     

saranett
Mexico

hello!!
And what about: "I met her SINCE long time ago"??

:)

16 Nov 2011     

tulpen25
Netherlands

"�I knew her from a long time ago � can be said,"
""I met her SINCE long time ago"

I would never say either of those things, both sound odd. If you are still in touch with the person, I would say "I �ve known her for a long time"

I would say "I met her a long time ago" or "I �ve known her for a long time" instead of "since long time ago"

16 Nov 2011     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

An informal way of saying this is We go back a long way.

17 Nov 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

I �ve known her for a long time.

17 Nov 2011     

ruisleipa
Finland

Doesn �t matter if it sounds incorrect to you, Tulpen 25, the fact is it IS correct to say both �I knew her from a long time ago � and �I know her from a long time ago �! �I �ve known her for a long time � has the same meaning. And as Ballycastle says, �We go back a long way � is more informal. There are other possible sentences - �I know her from way back� would also be on the informal side of things.

17 Nov 2011     

tulpen25
Netherlands

"I knew her from a long time ago" sounds odd to me because it �s something I �d expect to hear from a Dutch person trying to speak English and not a native speaker. "

17 Nov 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

I would use "I �ve known her forever". (not literally forever but an expression to show a long time)
In slang we can say "I �ve known her for yonks" or "I �ve known her since we were both knee-high to a grasshopper."
Finally I might use "I �ve known her for a long time".
Cheers Joy

17 Nov 2011     

Carey74
Spain

I knew her from a long time ago.... means that you don �t know her anymore (she died)
I know her from a long time ago.....means that you know that persons since a lot of time.
I knew her long time ago.... means that you met that person a long time ago and you stop knowing that person in some moment (bad memory???) I would say " I met that person long time ago."

BR Mary

17 Nov 2011     

1    2    Next >