Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > giving directions     

giving directions

najati
Jordan

giving directions

Hi
How can I teach directions  for 5th grade  students in effective way? And also Where can I find useful  materials? Please help me !!Thanks so much.

25 Nov 2011      

Minka
Slovenia

After the introductory presentation you can use all sorts of boxes (you can ask them to bring one each or prepare them yourself) and name them "supermarket", "hotel", etc. and then make a few streets on two or four desks. Then you can ask them questions
 like:

Is there a disco in the town? (Yes, there is. etc.)
Where is the hotel? (It �s in Hill Street, next to the school.)

And you can place a small toy car in front of a building and ask the students the way to another building. And you move the car according to the directions they give you. 
Next step (of course): you give them the cues for asking and giving directions (from - to) and another student drives the car, not you. 

You could also move the desks and label them "hospital", "hotel", "school" etc. The space between the desks is then changed into streets  and given names, too. You can simply use paper for that.

25 Nov 2011     

lipofootoo
United States

Get a map or make one on paper or on the board. You can draw pictures of arrows and teach them phrases like "Go straight, turn right, etc."

After you have taught them the phrases-and hopefully they already know the places like: bank, police station, etc.-you can practice with some games or activities. There is a bunch of ESL games and activities on video here.

Depending on how your classroom is laid out you can also use it for a kinesthetic activity to practice the directions.

25 Nov 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You can find lots and lots of quality materials right here on eslprintables from ws to games and online exercises.
Browse through and choose what �s appropriate for your ss
Sopia 

It�s free but you need to be registered to be able to download it.

25 Nov 2011     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Teaching ideas and games:

Worksheets:

http://bogglesworldesl.com/information_gap.htm

http://busyteacher.org/classroom_activities-vocabulary/directions-giving_and_asking-worksheets/

25 Nov 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

This is what I have. You can have a look, may be you find it useful

https://sites.google.com/site/englishiscute/home/games/board-games

Linda

26 Nov 2011