Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Turn on vs. Switch on    

Turn on vs. Switch on

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Turn on vs. Switch on

Hello, dear colleagues! I need your brains)) I �m not quite sure about the usage of two phrasals "turn on/off" and "switch on/off". Are they interchangeable? Or are there any peculiarities of their usage? And can we say "switch on the lamp"& or it would be better "switch on the light"? Thanks in advance.

28 Nov 2011      

Apodo
Australia

You can use turn on/off or switch on/off interchangeably for electrical appliances or lights.
For me a lamp is a type of light eg: a desk lamp, a bed lamp, or a standard lamp. They can be called lights, but I wouldn �t call the permanent light in the ceiling a lamp.

28 Nov 2011     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Yep, I was asking about a desk lamp. Thanks for your answer.
It �s just that I heard somewhere that TURN ON is used with turning knobs, like "turn on the gas, turn on the tap"...

28 Nov 2011     

yanogator
United States

Very strictly speaking, what you heard is right. However, most people don �t make the distinction. I don �t use "switch on", and if I did, it would only be for things that have a switch rather than a knob. I would say "Switch on the light", but never "switch on the stove". It �s not a rule, though, just a practice.

Bruce

28 Nov 2011