Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Comparison    

Comparison

carinita
Argentina

Comparison

I �m making cards with celebrities for ss to compare those celebs
If they had to compare Bridget Jones and Hannah Montana, is it ok to say Bridget is fatter than Hannah? If not, which adjective would you use instead?
Other adjetives I plan to include in the cards are "beautiful and talented for music"
 Expected answers: Hannah is more beautiful than Bridget/ Hannah is more talented for music than Bridget
... I need an adjective so that the comparison is made starting with "Bridget Jones is..." (for the sake of variation) Wink

Nobody answers Cry

29 Nov 2011      

cady.78
Argentina

Hi! My former teachers once told me that it is not very polite to say that someone is fatter than another person. Maybe I �m mistaken but I was told that Fat has a negative connotation. I was told to use: Bridget is less slender than Hannah or to say Hannah is more slender than Bridget. Also the word slim.
I know I �m using the opposite word but I was told that when you compared body size, it �s better not to fall in an insult.
Hope it helped you and if anyone has a better answer, it �ll be great to hear about it.
See you around.

29 Nov 2011     

Luis Lacroix
Argentina

Hello, 

Fat, actually, is a medical term. Doctors sometimes use it in describing overweight people. Fat is what it means: fat. The reason this word has such a negative image is that, historically, it has been used alongside disparaging remarks: fat ass, fat pig, fatso, fat slob, etc. 

Full-figured and rubenesque are used for women, and husky and teddy bear are used by overweight men.

Another euphemism for fat are big boned, pudgy, plump, and pear shaped.

BTW, when a woman says, "I �m fat" when describing herself, somehow, this makes her sound more confident than if she sugarcoats it with, "I am full-figured," or, "pleasingly plump."

I found in a forum the following link: 

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1428957&langid=5

Bye.

29 Nov 2011     

yanogator
United States

Good answers, all, but I �d like to add one thing.

If you definitely want to stay with the less-complimentary choice, use "heavier".

Bruce

29 Nov 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Carinita,

I would not say: �X is fatter than Y�.  It is uncomplimentary and it may encourage students to make unkind remarks about other students.

In my opinion, it is better to use anonymous names, such as �X� and �Y�, and not the names of real individuals, then the comments are entirely impersonal.

If you use real names, at least say that the comparisons are for teaching purposes only, and are merely opinions, not fact.  

If you use your cards the way you intend, here are some adjectives:

Bridget Jones is more ������.. than Hannah Montana.

Hannah Montana is more ������.. than Bridget Jones.

amusing; attractive; beautiful; bouncy; bubbly; charismatic; charming; chic; competent; cute; droll; educated; effervescent; elegant; entertaining; exuberant; facetious; famous; fascinating; fashionable; funny; glamorous; good-looking; gorgeous; happy; humorous; intelligent; interesting; irresistible; jolly; knowledgeable; lively; lovely; magnetic; musically-talented; photogenic; pleasant; pretty; quick-witted; rich; short; smart; sophisticated; stylish; tall; trendy; vivacious; wealthy; well-dressed; well-known; well-liked; well-off; witty.

I hope that this helps.

Les

29 Nov 2011