Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Vocabulary    

Vocabulary

pcelka
Ukraine

Vocabulary

Hello, dear teacher. I need your advice and maybe help. Can you share your ideas how to check vocabulary???? Different words with different meanings which don �t belong to the particular theme. Maybe games, exercises...
I will be very thankful for your ideas and sharing.
Thanks in advance.

17 Dec 2011      

ELOJOLIE274
France

well when I teach new words to my pupils I always try to teach them within a particular theme
for example: environment, draught, polar bear, ice cap, hurricane, weather, climate change, advice... do you see what I mean? the words are different, have different meanings but they belong to the same theme so it �s easier for the pupils to learn them.

If you try to teach them a list like: computer, book, cup, jacket, cream, candle, bear, honesty... they might learn a few of them but not all because they won �t be able to make any connection between them!

to teach new words I always put them in a context (in a sentence, using a falshcard...) - then after a while - at the end of the lesson or at the begining of the next one - we check the words they remember
for example I show a flashcard, or write on th board "p _ _ _ _   _ _ _ r" and see if my pupils can find the word - then I ask them to put this word in a sentence (eg: polar bears are in danger) and I sometimes ask them to complete this sentence with other new words (eg: polar bears are in danger because of climate change) that way we introduce not only new words but also new structures (eg: we need to save polar bears)...

does it help???

17 Dec 2011     

pcelka
Ukraine

Yes, thanks a lot. It helped me. Bring new idea. Thumbs UpClap

17 Dec 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

The book I work with usually starts each chapter with a list of new words. The words are generally not connected in anyway. I found that just reading them is not enough for my students to remember them so I started making worksheets with the new words. (since they are not theme related i never upload them here). A typical worksheet on new vocabulary will have a gap fill exercise where they need to complete sentences with one of the new words (so they learn how to use it in context) and a crossword. I often add a wordjumble or a word search on the back side to keep faster students busy...
For my class it seems to work well, maybe you can use the idea....

17 Dec 2011     

lipofootoo
United States

You could try to use images or flashcards. Then mix up the words and the images and have the students put them back together again.

Or put a bunch of images on a desk or the board and call out a vocab word and then have the students touch the one that you say. It can be made competitive too with teams.

Here are a few of the best ESL games for vocabulary+ that you could try.

22 Dec 2011