Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > I need your help    

I need your help

asmaesperance
Algeria

I need your help

Good morning dear colleagues,

I need your help. I am a teacher in a middle school; my students are between 11 and 15. My problem is that I want to help my 4th year students especially the weak ones. They haven�t learnt their irregular verbs yet, they don�t know how to turn sentences into interrogative or negative ones, they don�t know how to write the correct form of the verbs �etc and this has resulted in their loss of desire in learning English. Now, some of them wish to start from the beginning but the problem is: all those lessons are learnt in the 1st year and we don�t have really enough time. So if any member could have some magic ideas to help those poor students knowing that they have the 4th year program in parallel in which we have so many difficult lessons, I will be happy if he could share it with me. Thanks for all of you.

21 Dec 2011      

miss K.
Ukraine

How about giving them extra tasks? For example, you give them a task to learn 5 irregular verbs. Awars 5 points for learning them well. Award another 5 points for writting all forms without mistakes. After that they need to learn to recognise them in sentences (they can underline them in a text). Anyway they �ll need to give it an extra stretch and it �ll require more time from you because your students will need ws tailored specifically for their needs. They �ll need a few ws to practice just those 5 verbs and learn to use them in sentences, negatives etc. Then at a cerain time (every three month or half a year) award them with certificates for getting as many points they could and choose, 1st, 2d t winner etc. Maybe you can have a bord of honour where you can list their names and points and maybe even change it everytime they get more. I use this system with my students to get them reading and it works.

21 Dec 2011     

asmaesperance
Algeria

thank you  maryse pey� for the links. thank you miss k the idea of deviding the verbs into groups of five is  v.good i �ll start applying it hoping that it will work and that they �ll learn the most important verbs from now until the end of the year knowing that they have to undergo an important exam. 

21 Dec 2011     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

In my opinion , if it is possible, it�s more useful to teach less things, but properly than hurry up.

21 Dec 2011     

asmaesperance
Algeria

you are right martinasvabova but I don �t have the right to make  lessons other that thoqe of 4th year I can add extra time from time to time in which i revise those elementary points and that �s why I am searching for magic ideas we are in a public school and we are bound by the program it �s just that I want to help students to get better results in their exam

21 Dec 2011     

Nebal
Lebanon

I find Miss K �s idea great. Go for it!!

Your students must be lucky for having you their teacher!! Feeling dedicated and responsible is one of the pillars of teaching. Some teachers just overlook such problems and move on . You can never build on weak bases. Keep it up!!:0))

Good luck!!
Butterfly

21 Dec 2011     

asmaesperance
Algeria

thank you Nebal for your encouragment I �ll try to do my best

21 Dec 2011     

class centre
Belarus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov2v50af7bo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWSESCNvf4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18NlPMAiWXQ&feature=related

just try it. My sts are delighted and have learnt the three forms in no time!

21 Dec 2011     

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Thanks for useful links!!!

21 Dec 2011     

asmaesperance
Algeria

thank you class centre for your precious help 

21 Dec 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Excellent songs, Natasha;) Thank you!