Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I need a piece of advice     

I need a piece of advice

asmaesperance
Algeria

I need a piece of advice

Dear colleagues I need your help and advice

I am a teacher at a middle school, my students are between 11 and 15 my problem is that I have a friend who is moving to the U.S. the next year, she has a son aged of 8 years he is a pupil at a public school and here in Algeria, pupils are taught  Arabic and French at a primary school while English is introduced at middle school. My friend asked me to teach her son English at the weekends because they told her in the embassy that if he goes without learning English, he will start again from 0 and he will lose three years of his life. Now, I feel that I hold a great responsibility and I don�t know how to start so what will you suggest me?  Should I start by colours or, body or�? He has learnt the alphabet in French so he can write full words and sentences as my friend said. So, I will appreciate any advice that would help me especially from those who teach 8 years old students

8 Jan 2012      

volga
United States

Hi,

Your friend was misinformed. When her son starts school here, he will be in the grade level appropriate for his age. If he does not know any English, he will be provided alternative language services (English-as-a-Second-Language classes), where they will be teaching him English. This is a Federal law. So, he is not going to lose any years of his life. However, if he knows some English when he arrives here, it will definitely help him. Good luck to you and your friends.

Sincerely,
Volga

8 Jan 2012     

asmaesperance
Algeria

hi volga, thank you for your answer

You�re an angle i will make my friend read your post. I�m sure she�ll be happy. She told me that she had an interview in the u.s. embassy here in Algeria and they told her that he should learn English .she is taking the matter as an �emergency. as her english is not really good, I think that she didn �t really understand what they told her

8 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

BTW kids learn really fast if they are put in the situation where everybody speaks English. My friends in America now have a different problem their children forget their mother tongue.

As to with what to start I think it would be best to check some courses and the topics they introduce at the beginning. I �d say meeting people, telling about oneself, at school, at the supermarket, etc. would be the best to start with bc these are what the boy will come across in his everyday life right away. It would probably be a good idea to focus on vocabulary.

Here �s a page with Macmillan �s resources for young learners where you could check the content of their basic cources http://www.macmillanenglish.com/younglearners/
Sophia

8 Jan 2012     

asmaesperance
Algeria

Dear Sophia
you �re so helpful and generous. you �re here for every body I appreciate your help so much
a million of thanks for the link

8 Jan 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

No problem:)
I do realize I �ve been all over the forum lately it �s just that I �m on holidays right now plus I hurt my little toe really badly so haven �t been out for the past couple of days. Sorry for making an impression of not having a life:)
Sophia 

8 Jan 2012     

asmaesperance
Algeria

oh, no, no i didn �t say it in a negative sense I �m so sorry if it sounds like that. i do appreciate having you helping us and me especially because whenever you gave a link or any help even if it was not me who send the post, I find it useful. I wish I could be so helpful

a million of thanks for all, sorry again you �re a tresaure and I hope your toe will get better soon
hugs from Algeria

8 Jan 2012     

yanogator
United States

Since your friend doesn �t know English well, she will have a tendency to speak only the mother tongue at home. You should advise her to set aside some time EVERY DAY in which only English is allowed to be spoken in the home. It will be hard work for both of them, but it will pay off. Her son, of course, will learn English very quickly, being surrounded by it all day at school. She should encourage him to "teach" her his lesson every day, as practice for both of them.

Bruce

9 Jan 2012     

asmaesperance
Algeria

a very good idea
thank you Bruce for your precious advice

9 Jan 2012