Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > learning disabilities    

learning disabilities

wende
Spain

learning disabilities

Hello dear teachers,
I wanted to ask if any of you has got any experience in teaching young learners with Down īs syndorme in a primary classroom (11 yo). What can I do to make the student feel comfortable in the language classroom? thank you so much

29 Feb 2012      

Manuvdb 66
Italy

In our school we have two children with Down syndrome. First of all I must say they both have a support teacher who helps them!!! According to their abilities we usually choose to follow the same syllabus of the class but at a slower pace. For example in the first year ( 11 years old) one of them is following the same syllabus with easier worksheets/material. You can find a lot of useful stuff on Eslprintable. The other student unfortunately has bigger problems and for this reason we have decided to reduce the syllabus giving very easy tasks related to his world ( family, pets, food etc) In the past I have had students with the same syndrome who very extremely brilliant at English and felt extremely comfortable in the class, but of course every student is different! I know it is not always easy to make them feel comfortable, there is not a magic recipe because it depends on the kid you have to do with...... Manuela

29 Feb 2012     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

I had a kid with Down Syndrome and these kids tend to repeat simple sentences a lot.

You could try rhymes , songs as they love happy tunes and love to sing along!

Praise is also very important. In each class the special student must feel integrated doing what others are doing even at a slower pace...Ask other students to help him /her but encourage respect saying that everyone is different but has the same rights.

Why not doing a project work, encouraging team work?This helps to increase confidence.

Hope it can help!

29 Feb 2012