Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Removal of my submission    

Removal of my submission

alphanumeric
South Africa

Removal of my submission

Hi all,

I �d just like to know who it was that reported a recent submission of mine. The stated reason for its (subsequent) removal was that it was �not an ESL resource�. I disagree with that.

I would like to link to the document, but I can �t as it has already been removed.

The title of the upload was: NUTRITION AND NUTRIENTS CONCEPT MAP (MIND MAP)

As the title suggests, it was a concept map I produced for my EFL/ESL kids who are currently doing �Nutrition� as part of their topic-based language acquisition curriculum. I spent a few hours taking all the information in the course book and summarizing it into a handy concept map (mind map) to make it easier for them to take it all in. I used it in class just the other day as well. I thought it might be useful to others so I uploaded it here, too. That�s when it was reported and then removed.

So, again, I�d like to know who flagged it for removal and then give that person the opportunity to explain to me what made it not ESL-worthy. It was just as suitable/unsuitable for use in an ESL/EFL classroom as another one I produced and uploaded recently. That one was another concept map, this time about Musical Instruments. The two submissions were not much different. Simply substitute the main branch headings viz. String, Wind, Percussion and Keyboard in the one that is apparently fine, with Protein, Carbohydrate, Fat, Minerals, Fibre and Vitamins for the one that was removed. Different topic and different vocabulary, but all English and both ESL-worthy in my opinion.

I honestly don�t think the correct decision was made and I wish I didn�t have to spend so much time defending something that, appears to me, to be something quite useful for some of you out there also teaching topic-based English.

Anyway, I�ll leave it at that, for now. I�d appreciate any and all comments and I would especially appreciate the person who reported it to weigh in.

Regards,

alpha

1 Apr 2012      

Mabdel
Morocco

Dear Alpha!
As a moderator, I always vote for mind maps to stay  simply because I do strongly believe that they are esl resources. I didn �t have  time yesterday to check all  the reported ws. Anyway you can re-upload it again. Wish you all the best!
Mabdel  

1 Apr 2012     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear,

I understand your feelings but the person who reported it doesn �t have to give you any explanation. It seems moderators decided so if you don �t agree with their decision you can contact Victor and ask him for retrieving the ws if he assumes it has been removed for wrong reason.

1 Apr 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Alpha, just reupload your mind map adding 2or 3 questions , even if it doesn �t make sense to you� and everyone will be contented: you, members , reporters and moderators.Smile

1 Apr 2012     

moravc
Czech Republic

As Mariethe pointed out, it is always better to upload a picture / graph / mindmap / table with instructions and some follow-up activities, questions, writing props or a teacher �s guide / notes.
It helps the downloaders to see which creative activities can be done with the printable.
There are many novice teachers. Not everyone is as creative/experienced as you are...
Please include all instructions in the document (not in the ESLP description).

Still, you can contact Victor and ask him to retrieve your contribution.
It must have been removed by mistake. (There have been a large number of copy-pasted pictures and mindmap might look like a copy-pasted pictures even though it is a fantastic teaching tool).
Hope you feel better now.
Please don �t be sad! We like your work!!!

PS: Please note that you should upload editable texts.
Group all pictures and copy paste them into a picture editor / MS Paint and save as a single picture.
Insert the big single picture into a blank Word document.
Then group all textboxes and copy-paste them on the top of the big single picture.
This way the document will meet the 0.5 MB limit.
See free  Tutorials   section for help.  Good luck!

1 Apr 2012     

alphanumeric
South Africa

@ Mabdel: Thanks for taking the time to reply. I guess being a moderator is not the easiest of jobs Smile. I think I �ll take all the advice I have received here of those wiser and more experienced than myself and simply modify my ws before resubmitting it. Thanks again and enjoy your week!

@ Mariethe: Thank you for your words of wisdom and for the PM too. I took a quick look at some of your work. I was most impressed and plan to download a few of your mini-books during the week. Keep up the good work! Wow!

@ MJ Misa: I don �t really want to keep bothering people with the issue. I sent a message to the admins but don �t expect a reply or care if I receive one. The fact is it was reported and whichever moderator/moderators received the complaint agreed with the person who reported it. I still disagree but the easiest thing to do is, as others have suggested, to make it more obviously ESL-worthy. That �s what I �ll be doing. I don �t want to make more of a mountain out of a molehill here. I find this site too useful to overreact to this. Thanks for your input and enjoy your week! Also, I know that the person who reported it doesn �t need to tell me why they did so - I just think that reporting it might have displayed a lack of understanding of what ESL teaching entails in different parts of the world. Topic-based ESL coursebooks exist. I use them all the time and have been for years. To say that what I uploaded wasn �t an ESL-resource is ludicrous. It makes me wonder what kind of small-minded person was responsible for reporting it in the first place! [rant over :p]

@ Moravc: Thank you for your response! I will be changing my ws before resubmitting it (whether or not I agree with its necessity). And thanks for stroking my ego while you �re about it! You really know how to make a person feel welcome, wanted, and appreciated. You �re a class act and, clearly, a real pro! I don �t think my ws was removed by mistake, though. A process was obviously followed. I received two separate emails - one to tell me it had been reported, and a second one to tell me that, after consideration by the mod �s, it had been removed. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that the terms were scientific and not simply words encountered every day. This is, of course, ridiculous but life goes on and so shall I. I will, as I said before, be following the path of least resistance and simply adding some exercises before uploading it again.
As for the second part of your reply. I realise that it would be preferable to upload editable texts. Here is why I don �t usually do so, since you specifically referred to it.

I produce the things I produce for my students, not for ESLprintables. Therefore, I make them in whichever medium and by whichever method I feel most comfortable. Lately I have been working exclusively with Adobe Photoshop and exporting the finished jpg�s to a Microsoft Word document only so that I can upload them to ESLprintables. I upload to ESLprintables as a bonus because I like to share what I have made for my students and interact with my fellow educators; also because by uploading I am able to download the work of my fellow teachers. So, I won�t be able to upload editable texts all the time. Not trying to sound selfish, here. After all, I am sharing what I do for free and if people like it they are welcome to take it, or leave it. Thank you for your feedback!

2 Apr 2012