Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A vocabulary question for native speakers    

A vocabulary question for native speakers

Minka
Slovenia

A vocabulary question for native speakers

Hi!

I have seen several worksheets with "remedial" exercises or tests. Would you really use this term in this context?

Thanks,

Minka

2 Apr 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

See the second meaning  http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/remedial
Sophia

2 Apr 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, "remedial" is a very commonly used term for materials/classes that are for "catching up" with the other students.

Bruce

2 Apr 2012     

Minka
Slovenia

Thanks!  Tongue

2 Apr 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I haven �t seen this term used in ages. It has such negative connotations. �Catch up � does very nicely.

2 Apr 2012     

Minka
Slovenia

Well, I have only seen it here, on ESLPRINTABLES, that �s why I �m asking.

Thanks again,

Minka

2 Apr 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Remedial doesn �t carry the same stigma for me as it does for you, cunliffe. I �m not sure about the public schools here, however. Everything different seems to be a stigma these days.

2 Apr 2012     

sylvinhay
Brazil

Remedial teaching, as the expression says, is used with students that have their learning lacking something, either because of disabilities (non readers, pupils with concentration problems, and more).

It is also used for those that for circumstantial reasons couldn �t learn the language in a regular way, having missed the basic acquisition of reading, writing and other skills.

Remedial teachers get advice from Special Education teachers in the case of learning disabilities. If the motive is lack of basics, the methodology is generally acquired during in-course service training for teachers. Here in my country those are organised by the Ministry of Education.

2 Apr 2012