Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > I need help :(    

I need help :(

ironik
Australia

I need help :(

Hi everyone, I hope you �re having a great Sunday! 
Mine is not as great because I �ve just finished checking my students � exam and in one of the classes I have unsatisfactory grades. In Turkey, it is below 45/100. This is the first time I have a student with such a low grade, my students are not that bad actually. However, I have major discipline problems lately. They ignore me and they don �t care about any punishment I give. They don �t even care when I have some fun activities to do, they refuse to participate. They just speak to each other, sleep etc. They �ve lost the motivation and I don �t know what to do. Plus, the class average is really low this time, like 60, most probably because of these problems. But now, I have to give a full report about the analysis of the exam to my department head. I don �t know what to say and I �m really upset right now. The management of the school and the parents really care about the grades, they need to know the reason and I don �t know what to tell them.
I �m just in my second year in teaching and this year has been really frustrating for me. Experienced teachers in our site, can you help me?

29 Apr 2012      

mirela.sorina
Romania

oh god, I know the feeling of demotivation-); try to explain them they were like this/ ignorant about learning, ; can you make them fail the exam? probably they will start paying attention- I am talking about future

29 Apr 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I think, you don �t get it, mirela.sorina. If the ss failed the exam, the school board and the parents would obviously blame it on the teacher...
Here in Ukraine, I �ve heard it multiple times: there are no bad students, there are bad teachers.
What can I say, I think it �s a general tendency among young people worldwide. They seem to be not interested in learning, sometimes they find ways to trick the teacher out of a good grade by cheating, but do they care for knowledge? Obviously not. They have their needs met, they �ve got gadgets of all kinds so they think they �re smart, and they have other stuff to entertain themselves with.
I myself am struggling with discipline issues in class. There are good days and bad days... And just like you, I sometimes lose heart, especially if put a lot of effort and spend hours preparing something to engage them and they would just laugh it off or not pay much attention. 
Just don �t let it get to you. Do your best and keep their written work (like homework, dictations or wss they do in class) in this way you will be able to show your management how much effort was spent on your part and how much on theirs.
BTW you are not alone:) Check older forum posts and you �ll see other teachers who struggle with ss who lack discipline.
All the best to you,
Sophia

Edit: if you would like some tips, maybe this could help

29 Apr 2012     

remziye
Turkey

First of all you should check your exam whether it is really appropriate for their level or there is unknown subjects or not. Secondly, be sure if the questions � difficulty is in almost all levels; I mean some questions should be very easy,some are easy,some are difficult and some are very difficult. If all these go right, at that point your ss don �t study enough. And  I think you should go on doing your best. Be patient. Like you this is my second year. But there �s a huge difference between the last year and this year. Last year, I experienced what you told,too. As I said before calm down and be patient. Do some song activities or classroom games It doesn �t matter if they �re related to your current subjects or not.. You should motivate them and then go on your subjects again. Otherwise neither they will learn the new subjects nor they want to study all subjects. Hope to be useful!!

29 Apr 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

This once worked for me :
As you enter the classroom you go directly to the board and stick a huge paper with their names on it, kind of like a chart, where they can see their names written. Explain that as you have to report to your superior about the behavior and performance of theirs in class, you don �t want to miss a detail so that chart will be on the board every class and you �ll be ticking the people who misbehave and the ones who deserve good marks too. 
I wrote things like :  use cell phone in class / speak with classmate when teacher talks / no homework / swear / be the class clown / pay attention / answer when teacher asks / bring homework / engage in activities / and so on ... It was a big chart, I had to fold it in six I guess for me to carry it but it worked for them . When they started seeing their names written on the paper, after 15 or 20 min I �d say, I could work rather "normally" in that class ... The next class the first thing they asked when I got there was whether or not I had brought my chart with me again !! I had some parents come and complain about their kids � marks so with the chart in hand I let them see how he/she had behaved in my class, they understood that education begins at home, that teachers need a helping hand from home to deal with sts . Good luck ironik!

29 Apr 2012     

abba
Spain

I agree with uselteacher, the problem is all around the world and I don �t know about any possible solution. In Spain, we have three hours a week of English and around 30 students per class, then, in these three hours you have to explain grammar points, do some exercises to reinforce the grammar point you have explained, do some listenings, do some readings, do some writing activites, do some speaking, and as the lessons must be motivating and attractive you have to bring videos, songs and funny games..... t. After all that work, if students fail the teacher is to blame, of course, who else then...? Can anybody explain how a person can improve any subject with only the work in class? It seems that families don �t understand that extra-work outside school is needed, sometimes I think that we are bringing up our students into a world of non-effort where everything must be easy and where they are not to blame for anything, it �s always anyone elses � fault. And what really annoys me is that the student that fails is because he has something, I always help handicapped students and I give them different work because nature has been cruel to them but others are just lazy but their parents just try to justify their results telling you that they have hyperactivity disorders and stuff like that...
 I had a a mate at school who used to make students draw a timetable of their free time at the beginning of the term, and the students had to fill it with the extra-activities they had and the hours they dedicated to homework and studying, then, it was easy for him to know the amount of time each student dedicated to each subject, the students had to show it to their parents, parents had to sign it and give it back to him.At the end of the term when certain parents complained about the final term results, he just showed them the timetable of their daughter/son with their signature. Of course, there always was a relationship between the amount of time dedicated outside school and the final results. Hope it helps. All the best.

29 Apr 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

dear uesl teacher,

I understood perfectly the situations; probably you did not pay attention to my words- I wrote at the end . for the future; which means my adivice was for the years to come!also, I told her possible reasons to be reported-))))

29 Apr 2012     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi 

I have something similar to Alicia �s, but as I am kind of witch for these students who misbehave, I have  a little thing different - they also miss their break and stay in the classroom with some extra work; no matter if they don �t have their English books, ( they tried it, too ) I have already opened a book of History or Science, for example, and told them" Your extra task is to copy this. ". Believe me, after a while, it works. Obviously, some now and then some parents complain, but, they never go to far, when they see the evidences. 
One thing, if you decide to do the same, I always let them eat their lunch, so that parents can �t complain the poor little ones were obliged to stay a whole morning with their bellies empty.

We are facing a general rush to retirement, here in Portugal, but this is not the worst, we are having some suicides among teachers - any country caring for their working members would stop and think. What �s wrong? Why do teachers go away, why do they decide to suicide... Question

I �m leaving, my grandson is having a bday party - he is two. I do hope he will live in a much better country, when he is the age to understand things around.

Linda

29 Apr 2012     

tedito_85
Bulgaria

Hello, Ironik,
in my opinion there is no �correct answer � to your question, anyway I would give you several suggestions you could try.
First, you could try to explain about the problem with the discipline and mention the major problematic students (if you observe carefully you would notice that there are only 2-3 students that create problems and the other students just follow them). Probably, the major fault is yours, but you �d better not point it out. Why don �t you focus on strategies to get your discipline and results better, while writing the report. Concentrate on the positive rather than the negative. Secondly, results are not the most important in TESL. Do not worry about this so much that to feel guilty or bad. Try to have good time with your students, they will appreciate it. At the same time introduce 4-5 important rules for you, that your students must follow. Think carefully what would you like to change in your classroom and convert it to a rule. Ss that don �t follow your rules would have lawer result on the exam or something similar.
Anyway, preapring your report, DO NOT feel guilty, mention different strategies you have tried to use in order to solve the problem. You are not the only teacher suffering this problem. Cheer up! :)))
Good luck
 Teddy

29 Apr 2012     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I am so sad when I see that "effort" and "good manners" are no longer appreciated terms in education that I sometimes have the temptation to give up. I have a group of students who have been given lots of opportunities before ending up doing a course which allows them to continue studying a vocational degree but they don �t seem to realise it is their last chance to do something useful. I have to fight to teach them something which is really easy. They try to boycot my classes nearly every day and I work very hard to keep them interested (I teach them English and Spanish mainly). It �s not use trying to teach somebody who doesn �t want to learn. That �s why they misbehave and don �t pay attention. I feel frustrated and as I said before I sometimes lose heart but I have other wonderful students in my beloved bilingual section who make up for everything.
Cheer up, dear friends. Perhaps one day things will change.

My best wishes
Yolanda

29 Apr 2012     

ironik
Australia

Thanks a lot my dear friends, it really feels good right now to have such wonderful people who care about my problem and give so many good suggestions Smile. I read a lot and I try the things that I see but I feel that the main thing is they don �t respect me as a teacher. I �m one of the youngest teachers in the school and I look a lot younger than I really am, even some students had the courage to tell that I look like a teenager. I dress formally, put on appropriate make-up and do anything to appear a bit older but they feel I don �t deserve respect. 

I guess I just need some time to maintain that and if you had any suggestions for appeareance, posture and stuff I �d be more than grateful. In the meantime, of course I �ll keep trying and reading about different strategies, if my dep.head doesn �t kill me this time  Big smile 

29 Apr 2012     

1    2    Next >