Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > How do you use the Pictionary Boards?    

How do you use the Pictionary Boards?

Lippy_Madrid
Spain

How do you use the Pictionary Boards?

Hi, I notice that there are so many pictionary downloads with a rows of vocabulary and their matching pictures. How do you use this in your classroom? Do the students guess the words they know or do they take turns? I just can �t get them motivated with the pictionary boards...

Thanks so much and happy teaching! 

4 May 2012      

frenchfrog
France

Hello, Lippy_Madrid!

I usually use pictionary boards at the beginning of a new lesson to introduce the vocabulary that my students will need for the rest of the lesson (I simply hate it when they stop every 5 seconds to say �Excuse me, what �s the English for ...? � LOL If we do something on hobbies without revising or introducing the vocabulary, I usually get something like: �I like ... Excuse me, what �s the English for ...?, and I love ... Excuse me, what �s the English for ...? But I hate ..., Excuse me, what �s the English for ...? � LOL)

I have observed that weak students tend to like this type of activity because they can do it. But I must say that the fact that one English word out of three comes from a French word helps a lot! There are lots of similarities in the two languages.
So I usually give them a few minutes to complete the worksheet. Then we correct it and here is what I do (and I think it is the most interesting part): I tell my students to say complete sentences. If they are sure of the answer, they must say �It is the verb / adjective ..... If they are not sure, they must ask a question: �Is it the verb / adjective ...? � (It is so difficult for French students to ask questions!) You can also think of some expressions like �Perhaps ... �, �Maybe ... �, �It is probably ..., �I think it is ... �, etc. Students who are not confident feel reassured. Wink They know they are here to learn!

Most of the time they get 75% of the correct answers. I tell them that they must then focus on the 25% that they did not get correctly (usually the words that are typically English and that we don�t have in French). You can ask your students how many words they guessed correctly! You can also ask them how they found the words. Usually, I get answers like: �Well, in a video game,  the character says ...� or �On this sign you can read ...�. Students make quick connections. 

Of course my students are likely to mispronounce the words. But if they looked up the words in a dictionary, they would mispronounce them too. So I correct their pronunciation immediately, and we repeat the new words a lot. After a while, they start to notice a few things, like the pronunciation of the ending �-tion�, or �-ism�, or the letter �i�, etc. I do lots of games afterwards to help them memorize the vocabulary.

Thanks a lot for your post! I think we don�t talk a lot about HOW we teach.

4 May 2012     

Lippy_Madrid
Spain

Thanks for your great post French Frog. Really helpful and a great insight into another teacher �s classroom. I �ll have a go with those ideas here in Spain. Have a lovely day!

4 May 2012     

shusu-euphe
Taiwan

Great ideas, thanks for sharing Frenchfrog.

4 May 2012     

Liligirl
Brazil

Great idea French Frog .

As you said "I think we don�t talk a lot about HOW we teach."

How about suggest the owner  of the site to create a link HOW TO,  or Practices ideas, where the group could post ideas of practices that were tested in the classroom and worked fine. Since we have the template link , this link could be have  a standard form and the teachers fill it in . Just a thought ... because sometimes these threads got lost on the forum, I mean sometimes there are too many posts that when we come here it has already gone from the main page and we don �t read . 

4 May 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Lili: if you want to follow a thread , just click on "subscribe to this thread " and it will open first the next time you open the site.
next time, just go to the left column: what�s hot? and click on " my followed topics" and you will be able to access all your subscibed posts.

Frenchfrog: I agree with you. A worksheet would mean more if we explained the warm up and the follow up work and eventually homework that goes with it. Nice to see you. Hope you�re fine.Smile

4 May 2012