Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > possility and probability    

possility and probability

marie001
Tunisia

possility and probability

4 May 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

I will assume that you mean possibility and probability, and that you want to know the difference. The difference is how likely an occurrence is. A possibility is something that has a small chance of happening but is not very likely. For example, it is a posssibility that I may be in a car accident today. The likelihood is somewhere around 0.0001%, but it could happen. A probability is something that is more likely to happen than not. My car shows less than a quarter tank of gas. If I don �t buy gasoline, it is a probability that I will run out in an inconvenient place. It is more likely that I would run out a long distance from a gas station than right in front of it.

4 May 2012     

mercader11
Venezuela

In my personal opinion and trying to summarize what I`ve read.

POSSIBILITY =     sth may happen or may NOT happen

PROBABILITY =    I feel free to use numbers in my mind (0-100) to express sth is VERY or LESS probable to happen

Well, this is the way I explain it to my ss.
Hope this can be of any help

4 May 2012