Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > RE: Some food for thought... downloading without leaving a comment    

RE: Some food for thought... downloading without leaving a comment

mena22
Portugal

RE: Some food for thought... downloading without leaving a comment

After a long day�s work I feel exhausted. I couldn�t go to sleep without reading your opinions though. Wink  http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=3420

In spite of being fully aware that we cannot reach a consensus about this or find a solution, I�m glad the issue was brought up once again for discussion because now we know how some of us think or feel about it, both as contributers and  users.

According to Domnitza�s "story" http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=3427   (there are some well-known case studies on that issue),  most people in a big city aren�t generous enough to say a "hello" to someone they have never met, someone they aren�t friends with, even if they�ve been asked for one. According to some, by doing so they�re showing indifference,  they�re showing that they are not aware of the existance of the other.

The big city in this case would be ESLprintables;  the subway the "send comment" button shown next to the worksheet being downloaded; we, the contributors, the couple of boys with a single difference -  we are not holding a card but discussing the issue here; and, then, we have the people - a few have the generosity to say at least a "thank you", but the majority are not aware of our existance, don�t "see" the person behind the worksheet.

I still think it is very sad! Not because people don�t praise us for our work, for, as you�ve said, the simple fact they download our worksheets is a sign they liked them;  not because they don�t leave  a comment with the quality or the substance mentioned by our dear Victoria and later by alien boy  -  not that it wouldn�t be great, but it would be asking too much because for that we would really need time; not because we think that a higher number of comments is equal to top quality work  - we have gone through that before and I believe we all agreed one doesn�t necessarily mean the other; finally, not because we don�t treasure the comments we get or feel that they are not enough. WE DO, otherwise we wouldn�t be uploading our work anymore.

The sad thing is the lack of manners, of politeness.
It is the indifference towards the other, not seeing the person behind the worksheet or the screen.
That�s what this is all about!
We take something, we say thank you. it�s as simple as that. As basic as that.

Thank you so much for sharing your opinions. I really appreciated it.
Have a good night.

Hugs,
mena

8 Jan 2009      

BRAHIM S
France

Dear Mena,
I really  appreciate both your worksheets and contributions to the forum
I mostly agree with what you said, because like you, and many other teachers, I usually look forward to having comments by members who download my worksheets... and Indeed I feel quite disappointed to see members downloading things without any reaction... Note however  that I said comments not necessarly thank you notes
In fact what I expect is generally feedback from users of my worksheets, things like I used your worksheet and my students liked it, it was successful, or simply it did not have much success...  What we should  also expect  is general suggestions  for improvements. After all nobody is perfect
To conclude the comments option should be excessively used to exchnage ideas, feedback etc, but not just to leave repetitive phrases like "thank you", "very useful"...
Good night everyone... it�s now time to have some sleep

9 Jan 2009