Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Ordering Files and Worksheets    

Ordering Files and Worksheets

annabelle1654
Germany

Ordering Files and Worksheets

Hello Everyone,

I �m trying to think of a way to organize my classes.  I �ve tried putting worksheets into large binders, but they become ungainly and disorganized.  I �ve bought individual binders to try to find a way to organize classes at a micro level, but I have 15 classes, so this seems like a herculian task.  Can you tell me how you order your class materials, so that you can easily find them again.  I have files on the computer for individual classes and I do searches, but with so many worksheets and classes I easily forget what I have and so it �s not easy. 

Thanks in advance for responding to this topic.

Best regards,

Belles

7 Jun 2012      

MarionG
Netherlands

This is my system, maybe it is helpful:
There are two parts to it.
First of all the hard copies of worksheets, those I put in ring folders in a closet reserved for my stuff.I organize all my worksheets by subject, not by grade. I have for example a folder for sheets about numbers which has sheets to learn the numbers up to ten as well as ordinal numbers and big numbers. Whenever I need to teach a certain subject, doesn �t matter which grade, I page through the folder to see what I have, what is appropriate for the level I need. I also have folders with holiday related activities, readings, boardgames, present simple, past tense, pronouns... etc. etc. etc. etc. (I have a lot of folders, it �s a big closet!  :) The only thing I really keep per grade is a folder with lesson plans. I find it very helpful to look through last year �s lesson plans when preparing classes. In that same closet I also have boxes for memory/card games, again per subject; clothes, verbs, animals etc.
The second part is the computer.
On the computer the division is by grade. After I click on a certain grade I get all the folders of subjects I teach there. So on my computer I will have a numbers folder under 4th grade as well as under 5th grade. (which is why I love my hard copy folders, which have all the material, since the strong 4th graders might get a sheet which is filed under 5th grade on the computer and the other way around.)
Even with thumbnails etc. I still find it easier to look through paper copies rather than open file after file....
Hope this was useful in some way...

7 Jun 2012     

coasvaf
Portugal

Thanks a lot Marion! Very useful clues to me too.
 ATBSmile

7 Jun 2012     

annabelle1654
Germany

Thank you, Marion, great idea!

Kind regards,
Belles

7 Jun 2012     

xani
Portugal

Hi Annabelle,

This is how I �ve been organizing my files for the past few years and it works for me:

2011_2012 (in this folder I have all the documents I need for this school year - official school documents, students � information per grade, etc) 
DOCUMENTS (in this folder I keep documents from the previous years... we never know when we may need them again ; ))
ENGLISH_RESOURCES (in this folder I have esl teaching resources divided in different categories)
Now have a look at each of them:

2011_2012 (I have a folder for each grade where I keep lesson plans, an excel markbook and the resources used for each unit of work)

For instance, grade3 folder:

DOCUMENTS

ENGLISH RESOURCES (I have four categories: board game/card games; posters; ppt games; worksheets)

In each category I have my resources organized by contents:

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

xani

7 Jun 2012     

ellakass
Israel

Thank you very much! Really helpful!

7 Jun 2012