Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > expression from the moon :P    

expression from the moon :P

hheyitsme
Tunisia

expression from the moon :P

Hi guys,

I am revising for my cae exam and I came across this expression;

It was a wonderful landscape, the more so for being dotted with centuries-old wooden farmhouses...

Checked in different online dictionaries and each gives a different definition... Can someone tell me what the bold expression mean in this context??

Thank you in advance,

Cheers, Sondes

9 Jun 2012      

aliciapc
Uruguay

I �d say it �s like "even more so" , that is, it was wonderful and even more wonderful because of the farmhouses ...

9 Jun 2012     

Mariethe House
France

It was a wonderful landscape, even more wonderful because of the beautiful farmhouses...

Synonyms: all the more, all the more so, from the stronger, more than ever, still more, with greater reason

@ Alicia: we were writing at the same time!!Smile

9 Jun 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I see that now! A big Hug  to you!

9 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yep, the girls are right:)
Have you checked this dictionary 
(all) the more so because�used to give an important extra reason why something is true

Sophia

9 Jun 2012     

Mariethe House
France

It was a wonderful landscape and the little farmhouses  made it look even more beautiful,
Good luck for your exam SondesBig smile

9 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s pretty lively on the forum at the moment, all the more so because Marie is back. 

9 Jun 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Oh lynne! I should be in bed by now but I am so happy, all the more so because some nice people here welcome me back in such a nice way!!Big smile Thank you so much!
edit:I just feel like giving another example and illustrating it  with one of my pictures:

It is such a wonderful lanscape, all the more so because of the yellow dots of the broom flowering at this time of year.

9 Jun 2012     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Witty and funny, ladies ! All the more so considering you must all be rather sleepy by now !! 
Have a nice Sunday, everyone!

9 Jun 2012     

hheyitsme
Tunisia

Thank you girls for your help!

11 Jun 2012