Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Way to rain on my parade    

Way to rain on my parade

mari_18cf
Brazil

Way to rain on my parade

Hey, I UNDERSTAND this expression. The problem is a don �t understand "way" in the sentence. 

Help?

17 Jun 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Was there something in front of it, like, �the way to rain .. or �this is the way to... � or, if it �s a heading, maybe underneath you write how they can rain on your parade (you �d still need an article), unless it was plural, ready for a list: Ways to rain on my parade.

Otherwise, I don �t understand it either!

17 Jun 2012     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Exactly, there wasn �t anything before! It was in the beggining of the sentence in a book I �ve read.

It was precisely this "way to rain on my parade".

17 Jun 2012     

yanogator
United States

In the US, at least, we use "Way to ..." as a shortened form of "That �s the way to...", meaning "You shouldn �t have ..."

Way to sound stupid, stupid!
Way to go! (Can have a positive or negative connotation)
Way to ruin your chances of promotion!

Bruce

17 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I should have got that! It �s an exclamation, of course. I have an American colleague and she �s always going, �Way to go! � 

17 Jun 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

With Bruce here. "Way to..." = "Thanks for.../well done for..." - used ironically in this case.

17 Jun 2012     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Thank you very much!

18 Jun 2012