Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Going to a cafe with adult students. Game ideas? :-)    

Going to a cafe with adult students. Game ideas? :-)

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Going to a cafe with adult students. Game ideas? :-)

Dear colleagues,
on Wednesday I �m going out with my adult students (level Upper-intermediate) and we are having a �class � in a cafe. Of course, part of plan is to practise English and talk a lot about everything, but I �d also like to play some games appropriate for a cafe setting and letting them practise even more English :)

I have in mind something like "Guess who I am" (when they have to guess which famous person or character they are), one student is bringing �Activity �...

Do you know any other games we could play at a table? Smile I will be thankful for any ideas :)

Thank you sooo much in advance,
Kate (kkcat)

18 Jun 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Take a peek here  http://www.talktalk.co.uk/lifestyle/classic-party-games.html :)
Lucky you, if I took my teenage ss out to a cafe, it would probably end up being another episode of Monkey Business:)
Sophia

18 Jun 2012     

evafer
Spain

Sofia, Thanks so much!!!
Your suggestions are just great!
Saludos, eva

18 Jun 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Try jeopardy , the way it is suggested below by an ESL university teacher. It sounds a very good idea as students play and discuss in groups before they give the answer.

The first thing ( Eric, the teacher speaking)I do is to take the speedy �I �m First � element out of the game. Therefore everyone gets a chance to answer and to win or lose points. I break the class up into small groups of 2 or 3. Instead of speaking the answer they discuss the answer with their group and then write it down. Therefore noone can copy another �s answer and everyone gets a chance to answer. If they are right, I give them the points of that square. If they are wrong I deduct points. You could also just reward points for being right and do nothing for being wrong.

The last game I played we were reviewing past and future. The categories were: "Who", "What", "Where", "When" and "Why". Under each category were 5 boxes with points 100 to 500 just like the real game show 100 being the easiest and 500 being the hardest. The teams take turns picking a category and an amount. Then I would say the answer: "I ate pizza." or "I am going to the hospital.". They would write the answer (really the question) down on their paper. "What did you eat?" or "Where are you going to go?".

It was a great review and I think it got almost everyone involved.

18 Jun 2012     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Wow, thanks for the suggestions :) Thumbs Up

18 Jun 2012     

ELOJOLIE274
France

you can play a game we call "baccalaur�at" in France - don �t know if there �s a word for it in English sorry!
every player needs a piece of paper, they will need to draw columns for example:
Letter  /  First Name  /  Country  /  Objet  /  Fruit or Vegetable  / People (Surname) (or more difficult: flowers, recipe, town...)
then you ask someone to tell the alphabet in their head (they can start wherever they want: a, p...) then you say "stop" (after a few seconds or more), the player says the letter aloud and all the players - even you if you want - must complete the chart
for example with D:
David, Denmark, die, date, Dany De Vito...
it �s very easy with some letters but gets harder with others! and it �s a lot a fun to see what your pupils found :)))

19 Jun 2012     

lipofootoo
United States

Try Scrabble.

19 Jun 2012