Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > typical dishes    

typical dishes

cawadashy506
Costa Rica

typical dishes

Hi, I am teaching food. I would like to preper a national dish from a different country. But I can�t use a stove for it. Can someone give a recipe to preper in my classroom?

22 Jun 2012      

lucianamar
Brazil

you can prepare "fruit salad" using different fruits and some sugar.

22 Jun 2012     

silvia.patti
Italy

what about different sandwiches?

22 Jun 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Is there any way of getting ice cream in? Banana split would be good. You could substitute tinned or home made custard for the ice cream. Add lots of chopped up fruit to make it healthy!

22 Jun 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Cole slaw from the USA:

Take a head of green cabbage and chop or shred.
Take a carrot or two, peel, and chop or shred (unless you �re cooking for my husband who hates carrots).
Sprinkle with about 10-15 g salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
Mix 250 ml vinegar of choice (white if you like pretty, apple cider is my favorite) with about 100 -125 g sugar.
Add mayonnaise to taste if desired.

That is my mother �s recipe, converted to metric units for you. It �s good by itself, and even better on hot dogs (in buns, of course) or on a chopped pork barbecue sandwich (smoked pork shoulder, chopped, and served in a vinegar-hot pepper sauce, called Lexington-style barbecue). You could also add a bell pepper or tomato if you like. Add red cabbage only if you will eat all of it immediately; the vinegar leaches the color out after some time.

22 Jun 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

We have to suggest a particular national recipe!

I can think only of one but it demands preparation ahead of time. It �s Vinaigrette salad. While you can guess that the origin of its name is not Ukrainian, it is a very common dish on the Ukrainian table and has probably its unique flavour.
So here are the ingredients:
  • 1 pound beets
  • 1 pound carrots
  • 1 pound potatoes
  • 2 large dill pickles, diced
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 (8 ounce) can peas, drained
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Here �s what you have to do ahead of time: wash the beets, carrots and potatoes thoroughly, do not peel, do not chop, put in cold water in a saucepan (better separately), boil until cooked (if the beets are average size it can take up to an hour and a half to cook, while carrots and potatoes will be cooked in twenty minutes after the water boils). Let the vegetables cool down.

In class you can peel the vegetables and cut beets, carrots, potatoes, pickles in small cubes (i.e. dice) then add peas, onions, olive oil and salt and mix everything with a spoon in a large bowl. 
BTW you can use a dice cutter to make it faster

Personally I love this salad to go with medium salted herring:)

Sophia 

@Lynne: you�ve awoken a craving in me:) I�ve never had a banana split but I�m sure I would love it:)

22 Jun 2012     

kissnetothedit
Hungary

Have a look at http://www.hungaryzin.com/2007/10/nras-hungarian-recipes.html
Nice weekend!
Edit

23 Jun 2012     

evafer
Spain

A delicious fresh soup perfect for the summer from Spain for you.
Buen provecho! Eva

23 Jun 2012     

veronika74
Hungary

This sweet (called biscuit balls or coconutballs) is popular in Hungary and it can be prepared easily. You just mix the ingredients (ground biscuits 500g, ground nuts 250g, 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder, some milk appr. 300ml, little rum, castor sugar 200g) in a bowl and make balls (you can put a sour cherry inside them as well). Then roll the balls in shredded coconut.

Soml�i galuska  is made with three different-flavoured sponge cakes (walnut,cocoa and plain), pastry cream, raisins, walnuts, chocolate sauce, and whipped cream.

Home made version: put sponge cake pieces into a bowl then sprinkle them with rum, spread raisins, ground nuts. Put vanilla pudding layer then sponge cake pieces again with raisins, ground nuts, rum and chocolate pudding. You decorate it with chocolate sauce and whipped cream.

23 Jun 2012     

Aurore
France

Brilliant Ideas. If someone with plenty of time to spare could make up some "Recipes  from around the world" worksheets I �d definitely download them...but there aren �t many teachers with plenty of time to make them...lol
 Thanks anyway. I should have fun with these.

23 Jun 2012