Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Advice for a New Teacher of K3?    

Advice for a New Teacher of K3?

golffbalwakerguy
Thailand

Advice for a New Teacher of K3?

Hi there, I�m Jennifer. I�ve got a few very open ended questions about teaching at a Thai Pre-school� Thanks in advance for any responses.

I�m teaching two classes of 10-12 K3 students (aged 5-6) twice a day each at a Bilingual school. It�s a great situation because I can give a lot of individual attention, and can even send a daily note home to all the parents. I�ve been getting along OK for the first month, focusing on the alphabet, phonics, and other kindergarten type goals (sharing, hand eye coordination, etc.), but I have run in to a few issues that I would love some advice about:

1. A few parents have commented that their kids will not speak English at home -- even my most advanced kids. I �ve explained that I think many children get shy outside of a classroom environment and assure them that their kids are speaking, reading, and writing English in class. Is this normal, in anyone �s experience? What can I do to encourage kids to speak more English at home? What else might I say to the parents?

2. I �ve been asked to do show and tell every Friday. I was hoping the kids would speak in (somewhat) full sentences about the objects they bring but in reality it �s me asking them questions and getting one word answers in return. Any tips?

3. I have an hour lesson with each class in the morning, and another 30 minute lesson in the afternoon. My main goal is to get them reading and writing small words, while making English fun using games and crafts. Given these allotments of time, what does everyone think the best way to break up activities would be?

4. Any tips or good websites for using total body response (TBR) for getting the kids attention? I �ve been using clapping and repeating, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn �t. Is there something more effective?

5. Finally, I �m looking for good songs for the kids, but have come up a bit short when Googling... any suggestions? Any ideas for mother �s day?

Thanks a million!! I �m a new teacher, and I �ll take any advice I can get!

Jennifer

25 Jun 2012      

patrenou
Argentina

For songs go to youtube. It�s a great resource!!  

About kids talking at home, parents won�t get any feedback if they ask them to show.  But if they recreate situations seen in class , like starting to sing the songs you sing with them or playing the games you play, they�ll see them interacting.

25 Jun 2012     

AnnyJ
Taiwan

Hi,

I teach K3 students in Taiwan. I always encourage my parents to let the kids only watch English cartoons at home, and then of course the parents should speak and ask questions in English, then usually the child will answer in English.

I love to play teacher says: that also helps when doing activities, then they listen and follow instructions.

Show and tell: I have a theme each week.( cars, candy, favorite drink, favorite toy....) Every student must stand in front of the class and say: Good morning everbody. My name is.... I am a boy. I am  6 years old. I feel happy/sad. (depends on time, but you can make this much longer) My show and tell is..... and then I will usually help and the student repeats 1 or 2 sentences about the show and tell after me. If a student doesn �t have show and tell, I still let them stand in front of the class and say the �name rhyme � then after show and tell I will give them some time to play with their show and tell, walking around and ask some questions about it...give them more English practice

As for sight words...I use the dolch list(on internet) My students have a check list(10 words each week) they have to read it to somebody each day(homework) In class I play memory blocks (with the words) or just recognizing games, put the words on the board, students run circle, first one to sit is winner, hide a word and many more......

25 Jun 2012     

aasott
United Kingdom

I have been teaching kg in Thailand for 5 years in a bilingual school.

The best thing to do is not to expect too much. It is an on going problem for me even now with the parents complaining about the children not speaking English at home. The thing is that most of the students only get the one hour of English a day and the rest is in Thai.
Try to make all your classes visual and encourage a full sentence answer every time. Use a lot of songs to back up your lesson. The phonics song on youtube is great ( A is for apple ah ah apple, B is for ball buh buh ball etc) . I made A4 flashcards that went with the song and reinforced the lessons with bingo games. That i have posted on Eslprintables.

Some good websites:

http://bogglesworldesl.com     For excellent teaching resources that are ready to use.

http://www.edgalaxy.com/      For new teaching ideas.

http://www.senteacher.org/Home/      For writing stencils and worksheet makers ready to print.

http://www.time-for-time.com/worksheetmaster.htm     For making time worksheets.

http://www.toolsforeducators.com/bingo/    For ready made bingo and other games.

If you would like to see some of my lesson plans or you would like more advice you can email me at [email protected]

26 Jun 2012