Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > theatre vs movie theatre    

theatre vs movie theatre

mirela.sorina
Romania

theatre vs movie theatre

I found in a book 2 different names of places for what I thought to be the same thing; what would be the difference?

17 Jul 2012      

yanogator
United States

A theatre can also be for plays.

Bruce

17 Jul 2012     

grazisg77
Brazil

There is a distinction in spelling between British English and American English: in BrE you have cenTRE, theaTRE, litRE, etc.; as in AmE you have cenTER, theaTER, liTER. I don �t believe there is a conceptual distiction, just spelling really.
Smile 

17 Jul 2012     

grazisg77
Brazil

Just realized that �s not what you asked at all :/
Yeah, yanogator is completey right!
Sorry Confused

17 Jul 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

thank u all!

17 Jul 2012     

Hamidou2008
Morocco

I think there is a difference. "theater/theatre" is the place - be it indoor or outdoor- where plays and similar types of entertainment are performed. "movie theater/movie theatre" is a cinema.

17 Jul 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

aha-)Thumbs Up

17 Jul 2012     

morangos
Portugal

Movie theater is the name Americans give to what in Britain they call the cinema, I suppose you know what a cinema is! The theatre is the building with the stage with real actors on with, following a script, and instead of a film, it is called a play. I hope I didn �t confuse you!

24 Jul 2012     

mirela.sorina
Romania

mt= cinea
t- plays

27 Jul 2012