Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Adults    

Adults

sofi_dy
Argentina

Adults

Hello teachers!
On tuesday I �m starting a new group called "Adults Beginners".
I �ve always been a teacher to young learners or teenagers and I really don �t figure out how to start the class and how to manage with adults (I �m 22 years old!). What I really need are some games and ideas for the first lesson (of course I will be teaching greetings and how to introduce yourself). I want to get adults involved with the learning of the language and I really don �t know how!
Have you got any suggestions?
Everything is welcome, since I �m quite desperate! Haha!
Thanks all in advance!
Sophia

27 Jul 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

I would ask them why they want to learn English, and what kind of English they want or need to learn. A lot of what you �ll want to do in subsequent classes (assuming you don �t have a rigid curriculum) will depend on their answers. It doesn �t make sense to teach business English to a class of future tourists, for example. Unless they have NO English at all, try to conduct the discussion primarily in English. (It may be more difficult for you than it is for me; I have mixed-language students and I guess most or all of yours speak Spanish.) But have them speak in Spanish if you must. Try to listen to everyone, even the shy ones that like to play invisible. (Every class has a few.)

You might also talk about your expectations for them, and their expectations for you. For adults, I say expectations rather than class rules, unless they are getting academic credit for the class, then say rules. You can and should work from a more collaborative model with adults than you do with children.

As for a game: one of my favorites is the Sentence Game. You will need a blackboard (or whiteboard, color doesn �t matter), chalk or markers, and a timer or clock with a second hand. Divide the class into teams of about 4 or 5. Try if at all possible to mix ability and experience; don �t put all the best students on one team if you can tell. Explain the game and give examples (I will do this as I explain the game itself, but you �ll need to do it before you start).

Get one student from each team to come to the board. Write a subject, such as one man and one woman, or one animal. Write a verb on the board. Write a verb tense on the board if they are advanced enough to know them. The student has three minutes to write the best sentence he or she can. Other students can help, but they must speak English and they can �t go to the board to help. Give a small prize, such as a pencil, to each student on the winning team.

For example: one woman, shop, simple present. The first student from team one might write: My sister shops for fud ebry day. One point for every word that is close to English, so 7 points there. One point for a correct subject, one point for using the correct verb, and one point for the correct tense, for 10 points. I like to give a 5 point bonus for a sentence with no mistakes, which is not the case here because food and every are misspelled. I take off a point if I hear a team member speak another language. Play with the points if you like; you might count only correctly spelled words, for example, or give points for correct capitalization and punctuation. You can also give less time if your time is limited or you feel the students are more advanced. If they are less advanced, you might accept any correct use of the verb.

This is one of my favorite activities. The students love it, and it gives you some idea of their abilities in writing and speaking.

27 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Browse through some old posts with related topics here, there are some awesome tips and ideas.
Sophia

27 Jul 2012     

sofi_dy
Argentina

THANKS MoodyMoody! Apparently they don �t know English at all, but you are right when talking about expectations rather than class rules. I will also have that chat at the beginning of the class, because it �s true that I need to know what they want to learn before I start planning the classes (I don �t have a rigid curriculum).
Sophia, I will have a look at them now!
Thank you both!
Sophy

27 Jul 2012     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi Sofi,

It is very important to know the reasons they have to study English in order to prepare  the material that will meet their needs.
It is also a good idea to know about previous experiences with the new language  and what they expect to learn and how soon.

What they like most is to be able to speak a little more each class and use the language in which could be real situations.
I would  make them take roles and the end of the class. That would show them how well/much they have learned. Adults are usually very anxious and tend to lose interest as soon as they find some difficulty.

They usually like games and song. I would start with songs or a game which does not expose them too much.

One thing they do not like is to be corrected in public, so one has to be careful at making corrections.

All that comes from my own experience through the years.

If you think I could help in any way, just PM me. It will be a pleasure.

Good luck with the new group!

27 Jul 2012     

misseleonora
Argentina

I teach adults, they love role playing! use any flash cards from here with personal information and make them role play the characters. Or use famous Argentine characters profile, they will surely laugh a lot while learning. Idea: make them write their wife/husband�s profile-fact file and have them role playing their couples introducing to the rest of the group.
Good luck!
Miss Eleonora

27 Jul 2012     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think that there are lots of good ideas here. I just would like to say that adults, when learning a language, are not so different from children. They like games and songs and pictures, just make sure that the pictures are for adults. I use vocabulary and grammar games. I would follow a book like Headways. It �s easier for you to work if you have a conducting line. If you have the possibility, use Skype, the students love to speak with people from other countries. At first, let them speak to a teacher; he will make them questions they can answer. When they are more advanced, let them speak to an other adult English class.

Good luck.

Silvia

28 Jul 2012     

papadeli
Greece

You could start with  Two truths and a lie to practice introducing yourselves or greetings by choosing sentences such as :
I am Sophia.
I am 28 years old.
I am from Greece.

Read the rules, it �s really funny.

You could also create a wallwisher and write the introductions. Ss are asked to write their own note, add their -or their husbands �- pictures, videos, favourite songs... Here �s my wallwisher

If there is time you could practise reading by playing this great game.( The first on the right). You can always use pictures instead of words and play the game again to practise meaning.

You can also find a lot of ideas here

Hope it helps,

28 Jul 2012     

sofi_dy
Argentina

You �ve been all so helpfull!
Thanks a lot! You all gave me great ideas!
I �m grateful.
Sofi

29 Jul 2012