Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > be used to vs get used to    

be used to vs get used to

yingying
China

be used to vs get used to

Hi, everybody. I have problem with the phrases-- be used to and get used to.  May I ask the difference between these two? Thanks in advance.

14 Jan 2009      

Zora
Canada

be used to - means that you are accustomed to something and have been for a quite a long time now.

and

get used to - means you are becoming accustomed to something new...  i.e. a new routine, weather changes, etc..

14 Jan 2009     

donapeter
Romania

Try these links:
http://www.1-language.com/englishcourse/unit61_grammar.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv93.shtml
http://www.usingenglish.com/quizzes/115.html

I am sure that everything will be clear at the end of reading those links!!

Have a great day!!

14 Jan 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I would add to what Zora said that as different from "used to", they both are followed by gerund.

I used to work hard.

but

I will soon get used to working hard.
I am used to working hard.

Ps...ohhh... I posted last and appear first???  Shocked

14 Jan 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, yingying
Hong Kong

Let�s take it step by step and you will get used to "used to" .
1- USED TO:
         S + used to + inf
= talking about a habit/routine you got/did in the past and that you are no more doing now.
         [I used to smoke. Now, I am not]

2-BE USED TO:
   a) S + am/is/are + used to + inf/gerund
/ Noun (phrase) = Talking about the state of being accustomed to Sth in the present.
         [I am used to crowded classes. It is not a problem for me.]

b) S + was/were + used to + inf/gerund = Talking about Sth I was accustomed to in the past (it didn�t represent a problem in the past but now it may).
        [I was used to driving on the left when I lived in London. It has been a long time now I am not living there and driving on the left might be difficult if I go back there.]

3-GET USED TO:
   a) S + will get + used to + inf/gerund = Talking about a change in a state of being from not being accustomed to Sth now to being accustomed to it after a while by force of some circumstances or some efforts.
         [I will get used to driving on the left when go to work in England. It is the rule there and I�ll stay there for a moment.]

b) S + GOT + used to + inf/gerund =
Talking about a change in a state of being from not being accustomed to Sth in the beginning to being accustomed to it after a while in the past by force of some circumstances or some efforts.
         [I  got used to driving on the left when I was working in England. I got this habit because I lived there for a lontime. ((maybe I still have this habit))]

Hope this could help!!!

14 Jan 2009     

ahmad khalifa
United Arab Emirates

I expected you would show the difference between used to and would to express regularly occurred past actions.

16 Jan 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

HI, ahmad khalifa
United Arab Emirates

Is this a request or is it some kind of disappointment?

16 Jan 2009