Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > WOD    

WOD

abdel
Morocco

WOD

Ndictionaries, No internet links. Explain this:

ANDROTAUSE

A funny story is always welcome.
Hugs from here.
NO  DOUGLAS ! I really meant ANDROTAUSE. I didn´t mean ANDROPAUSE = MENOPAUSE or FATIGUE IN LIBIDO DUE TO OLD AGE.

20 Sep 2012      

douglas
United States

andro--(from androgenous)--gender neutral

TA-- (as in T & A) nicely put: breasts and behinds

use--utilization

So ANDROTAUSE is the gender-neutral use (movement) of certain parts of one �s body--the opposite of what stars/performers such as Elvis, Charro, and the Fly Girls do/did.

EDIT: Are you sure you didn�t mean ANDROPAUSE?

20 Sep 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

ANDROTAUSE

meaning= old form for the word hundredthousand ...LOL

20 Sep 2012     

dima380
Russian Federation

Androtause is what probably happens when a woman becomes a boss. she starts discriminating,  abusing and firing males. ANDRO - male. TAUSE - archaic form of toss.

20 Sep 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

Andro= greek for male
Tause= Papuan language spoken by appr. 350 people in Indonesia

Androtause is the collective name for male conjugations in the Tause language, as opposed to �gynetause�, denoting the female conjugations.
(unlike English, many languages have a male female split in grammar)

21 Sep 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

Oh the joys of language!
Androtause is one of these words which make me love wordgames since it is a kind wordgame in itself. As many before me noted, the word raises immediate Greek associations. In truth, however, it is utterly germanic in origin.
Andro, from Dutch: Ander - meaning �other �
Tause, from German: enttauschen - meaning �to dissappoint �
The word Androtause was coined for fun by linguistics students and is used to indicate that even though something (usual a lecturer, but also a coursebook) is new, that doesn �t mean it is necessarily better. The word was expressly chosen to sound "intellectual" but is used derogatively.(in stead of:  "How is the new professor? interesting?" " Naah, just as boring as the previous one."
With this new word the exchange would be:"How is the new professor? interesting?" "Well, you know, Androtause."

21 Sep 2012     

abdel
Morocco

WINNER OF WOD

MarionG , Congratulations! the word ANROTAUSE is in fact used ironically to denote archaic intellectuality that brings no newness and is , henceforth, used when scholars feel tedious about a subject matter.
To you now MarionG! post a word to start debate.
Hugs. 

21 Sep 2012     

MarionG
Netherlands

You must be kidding! My definition actually made some sort of sense!
I �ll think of a new word soon, thanks!

21 Sep 2012