Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help    

Help

windflora
Turkey

Help

Could you pls give the correct answers (and also reasons) of the questions below?
1. A force that strong had...............effects on the area around the volcano.
a. creative   b. interactive   c. splendid        d. tremendous    e. gorgeous

2. ..............toward different cultures can be changed by travelling and living in foreign countries.
a. approach   b. behavior   c. impression   d. expression    e. attitude

3. Interestingly, most street market vendors............no responsibility for the mass they create on the streets.
a. endure     b. agree    c. assume     d. allure      e. alter

21 Sep 2012      

RileyR
Israel

I am not sure I can explain why but I will try. First of all, the first sentence is missing something... Is it maybe a force that IS strong? Or a strong force...? I think the answer is tremendous because tremendous means extremely large effects. Second answer is attitude because before you go or meet someone from a different culture you have those attitudes you believe in and sometimes you are surprised to find out they are wrong. The third one, I am not sure... Hope that helps...

21 Sep 2012     

windflora
Turkey

I also didn �t understand the first question, i found all of them in a periodical. Thanks for your help.

21 Sep 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

My answers would be:

1. tremendous
2. attitude
3. assume

my reasons?

1. the impact of a volcano must be tremendous indeed
2. what can and should be changed but attitude?
3. I think assume is the only verb that fits, don �t really know why.

I �d love to know the correct answers. Is there a native speaker near here?

21 Sep 2012     

Apodo
Australia

ASSUME: Look at the meanings of assume:
It can also mean to take on

The market vendors take no responsibility for the crowds that are caused in the street when they have their stalls there. "It �s not our fault the street is blocked."

ATTITUDE: We could also change our behaviour, but attitude means the way we think as well, so this is what needs to change. Attitude is the right answer.

TREMENDOUS: This is the only word that describes the amount of damage done by the volcano - the lava, ash etc. in the surrounding area. The volcano has a damaging effect.

21 Sep 2012     

windflora
Turkey

Great thanks

22 Sep 2012     

yanogator
United States

In #3, it should be "mess", not "mass" that they create.

Bruce

22 Sep 2012     

Apodo
Australia

@ Bruce : MESS makes much better sense. :-)

22 Sep 2012