Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > preferably or instead?    

preferably or instead?

aldonza
Spain

preferably or instead?

Hi!

I�ve got a question and I am sure you can help me.

I have to choose between "preferably" and "instead" in the following sentence:

They might ____________ choose to pay a visit to the supermarket or the train station.

I know that the right answer is "instead", but why "preferably" is a wrong option?

Thanks in advance!

6 Nov 2012      

Dr. Ahmad El-Maghraby
Egypt

(1) Instead (adv) : as a substitute or replacement :

We ordered tea but were served coffee instead.�

(2) preferably (adv) : ideally; by preference; if one had a choice; more readily or willingly; ideally; if possible; by choice; much sooner; in or for preference;

"clean it well, preferably with warm water"; �Take exercise, preferably in the fresh air�.

* Thus, �instead� is used when there is a substitute; �They might instead choose to pay a visit to the supermarket or the train station.� (No preference is available.)

* �Preferably� is used to express preference without mentioning a substitute; �They might pay a visit to the supermarket preferably in the morning�. (Preference is confined with the morning.)   

6 Nov 2012     

aldonza
Spain

Thank you, Dr. Ahmad!

It is clear now.

6 Nov 2012     

serappp
Turkey

I think preferably is more suitable as there are choices.You can either pay a visit to the supermarket or a visit to the train station.It �s your preference.Instead doesn �t make a sense to me.

6 Nov 2012     

sweet hannah
Egypt

" Instead "could be a possibility if there is a previous sentence offering another alternative . For example,
Since they have plenty of time, they can go to a cafe.  They might ____instead________ choose to pay a visit to the supermarket or the train station.

But in your sentence , the answer will definitely be � preferably �.

6 Nov 2012