Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > On Essays correction    

On Essays correction

BRAHIM S
France

On Essays correction

This is the initial message I posted as I saw a fellow teacher asking whether this or that (students�s sentences) was correct
I am posting it again as I would be very happy to have your views about the question
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear all,
If only our students knew how hard they make things for us, having to correct their long essays is often both a pleasure and exhausting......

By the way, do you correct everything, I mean do you suggest improvements yourself or do you just underline what is incorrect....
I personally alternate both techniques, I write down suggestions / corrections when the issue is complex, and leave it to the students to correct it when it�s a minor problem �spelling, final �s� etc)

I have tried also to ask them to correct everything and give it (the essay) back to me for a second correction, bu this process  takes much time and energy , I  do it only once or twice  a year

What do you think???

19 Jan 2009      

Apryll12
Hungary

Hi Brahim,

I personally follow this method: I always underline what�s incorrect and put a sign next to the problem indicating the nature of the mistake. E.g. T=tense, WO=word order, prep=preposition, WW=wrong word, Gr=grammar, Sp=spelling. Then I give the essays back and my students have to make the corrections for themselves.

I think in this way they can learn a lot from their own mistakes and improve much better than in the case of getting back their essays corrected. Previously I did that and they didn�t seem to bother to have a look at their mistakes, but now they must think over what they have written.

19 Jan 2009