Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > A fabulous Christmas lesson idea!    

A fabulous Christmas lesson idea!

elowe
United Kingdom

A fabulous Christmas lesson idea!

There is a beautiful animation by the famous animator Raymond Briggs called "The snowman" it is easily found on You Tube, the full 26 minute version. There are no words but so much language can be generated from watching it.
I �m using it today to introduce the idea of making a snowman, we are going to watch the video whilst making notes about what you need to make a snowman eg. carrot, hat, scarf, sticks for arms etc.
After we have watched the video we are going to talk about our ideas and write some example sentences on the board. I have a sequencing activity to do about how to build a snowman (I don �t know where I found this, but it was on the web). After we have talked about it and I have moddelled some sentences, the children are going to write their own sequences in small groups, then finally, on their own in their books.
It �s a lovely task to do before Christmas and I �m sure you will all have many more ideas about how you can use the clip. I �d love to hear them, it �s very cold here in England today, it �s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas! Happy Christmas everyone! Em x

11 Dec 2012      

colibrita
United Kingdom

It is a really gorgeous cartoon. Well done for suggesting it. I watched it when I was little and my son has seen it a ton of times. It looks dated compared to today �s image quality. But children are still entranced by it 30 years later. It �s really touching.
Enjoy!

11 Dec 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Here �s a ppt with this story
http://www.eslprintables.com/powerpoint.asp?id=53086#this
Sophia

11 Dec 2012     

elowe
United Kingdom

Thank you Sophia, Em x

11 Dec 2012