Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "A quarter past"... or just "quarter past"?    

"A quarter past"... or just "quarter past"?

carlaaguiarsilva
Portugal

"A quarter past"... or just "quarter past"?

Hello everyone :) I �ve learnt how to tell the time by using "it �s a quarter past/to..." but now I �ve found in several books just "it �s quarter past/to..." Is this correct? And another question: is it a mistake for you to write the personal pronoun "I" without capital letter? I consider it a mistake... Am I doing the correct thing? Thank you so much, I really appreciate your opinion!

11 Dec 2012      

yanogator
United States

It �s all correct:
a quarter past
quarter past
I

(not "i")

Bruce

11 Dec 2012     

carlaaguiarsilva
Portugal

My thoughts exactly Bruce, thank you so much, Carla

11 Dec 2012     

Sonn
Russian Federation

"I", written as "i", can be found in chats, on forums, in comments or in icq messages. It is not quite correct and happens because the people who write such messages are too lazy to capitalize it.

11 Dec 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Sonn, in those places, you will also find "u r" for "you are" and many other non-standard spellings.

Bruce

11 Dec 2012     

englishreader
Austria

In England we always use �quarter past � , so without �a �.

11 Dec 2012     

carlaaguiarsilva
Portugal

My question was because in the school books we usually use here in Portugal it appeared "a quarter" but the new ones we �ve chosen this year say "quarter"... and the lasiness is making people write "i" and my students sometimes tell me they saw the pronoun written like that... big battle for us, teachers... Thank you all, have a wonderful holiday!

12 Dec 2012