Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > make mistakes- in or on or whatever?    

make mistakes- in or on or whatever?

ironik
Australia

make mistakes- in or on or whatever?

Hi friends,
Hope you �re enjoying your weekend! Today is my birthday but I �m struggling with an assignment on students � error correction right now :(

So, I wrote this sentence:

"Student B made mistakes about the punctuation of linkers "and" and "but"."

My tutor said "about" is wrong here. Which preposition should I use? As I looked up the online dictionaries, I got more confused because we can use about, in and on; but for different functions. Which one should I use here? Thanks!

15 Dec 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You would use �with, � but you needn �t say �punctuation. �  Just �Student B made mistakes with the linkers ( I would connectives) �and �and �but � �

Student B made mistakes with the connectives �and � and �but �. 

I think, if you are specifying �and � and �but �, you need �the �. 

15 Dec 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Student B made mistakes in the use of �and � and �but �.

Student B made mistakes when using the linkers �and � and �but �.

Student B had trouble with the correct use of linking words such as �and � and �but �.

Student B doesn �t know enough about the use of linkers.

Punctuation errors would refer to such things as commas, full stops and the use of capital letters.

15 Dec 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with Apodo - �when using � is  much more natural.

15 Dec 2012     

ironik
Australia

yes, I also think "when using" fits perfectly here. Cunliffe and Apodo, thanks for the other suggestions as well, I �m really bad at academic english and I will definitely use the other wordings in my essay, too :)
Actually the mistake was starting the sentence with "and" and "but", that �s why I said punctuation. He has to correct it by erasing the full stop and putting a comma. So, can we say,

Student B made punctuation mistakes when using the linkers �and � and �but �.

15 Dec 2012