Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teach English to adults (beginners)    

Teach English to adults (beginners)

mariajosefuster
Spain

Teach English to adults (beginners)

Please, help me! I am at a loss about a course I am just about to start!

I am going to start teaching English to about 16 adults (teachers) in 2 weeks. It will be a course of just 30 hours. Most of them are absolute beginners and some, just elementary level. Do you think I should be strict, speaking just English and not letting them speak Spanish? Should I speak both English and a bit of Spanish?

Please, could you  help me with some ideas of what to do with a class with many absolute beginners? I am at a loss, but I am really interested in this class, as it is new for me, and it means a bit of a challenge.

My first doubt is which language to use, but apart from that, I have not idea of which problems I am going to face, as I have never taught English to adults.

Thank you very much for all your help,

MJ

20 Dec 2012      

lewisronaldc
United States

Hi MJ.

From my experience of teaching English as a second language, only my high intermediate and advanced classes use English only.    Their vocabulary and understanding makes it possible.    In all my other classes I allow them to use their native language in groups to help each other understand what is being taught.  I have found than it  is necessary for the student to understand what you are teaching in both lguages.  This makes it possible for the student to use and understand what is being taught in English, which in turn allows them to understand and interact with native speakers.

Ron

20 Dec 2012     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Hi.

You will be teaching teachers....

....but are they going to be teaching English?

If so, they should do two things at least: learn English from you, but first learn to learn English in English, and not rely on Spanish.

I am not a teacher-trainer, but was taught by some who stressed the importance of that (long term) for the students � benefit.

As part of our course, we were taught Mandarin by a teacher who spoke no English whatsoever until the end of the final lesson. She did that in order to (1) show us that students can grasp a 2nd language (to some degree) in "immersion" learning (2) to show us that teachers can teach only in the target language.

If they are not learning to be English teachers, and maybe as you have said "beginners" they are not doing that, then I see no harm in a minimal use of their mother tongue.

I use a little Japanese to teach Japanese kids, but I feel that the important thing is not to let that grow into a lesson where the Japanese begins to equal the English. As long as the learners understand the importance of using English as much as possible, and aim for that, it seems a little pedantic to say "only immersion is real teaching".

Perhaps teachers with many years of experience (I have only 5 or so), will have better and better-explained advice for you.

I hope so.

20 Dec 2012     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Hi Maria,
First of all: stop panicking :-)  Secondly, speak English.  Not only, so if you know some Spanish, you can translate the odd word. But indeed, they should not speak Spanish for that one hour a day (or so). Remember that the grammatical structures of these languages are very different!
So they should not learn to translate, but develop a �feeling � for English.  Using two languages leads in my experience to mostly translating.  I teach Afghanies, Iranians and Iraqies one hour a day, five days a week and from just six weeks, and for some up to 12 weeks.  I take pride when other departments praise the �clients � for their progress in English in that short period of time.  My main goal is to get them over the fear of speaking and making mistakes.  I know only a dozen or two Persian words, so that �s an advantage for me.  But we do use dictionaries. In short, I did translate that "mistakes are only learning opportunities" :-)
Next, have them talk English from minute one.  My SS repeat every word I say.  I speak slowly, well articulated, and then I repeat the same sentence a bit faster and next just in the normal Aussie slang way.  They copy me, and before I know it, they bring in their own variations.  I use lots of pictionaries (I also have an Interactive Whiteboard, so I can use the fabulous stuff from this site), the word families, and the "1000 most common sentences in English".  So as soon as we know a few words and the first verbs (be, have and do) we start the sentences.
Please feel free to contact me in my private mailbox. 
Cheers, and remember, panick never taught an English lesson.  But we did.
Yours in teaching, Peter

20 Dec 2012     

lyny
Mexico

Hi! On my experience, teaching to adults is much easier than teaching children, I worked with children for five years and I �ve been teaching adults for 12 years.
When I begin my first classes, I don �t speak english a lot cause they �re beginners and they feel stressed. I teach them firstable vocabulary so that they can learn some words (otherwise I talk like a parrot and they don �t get a word).
Teach a lot vacabulary first and later begin to structure, it is very easy, you �ll see it.
Good luck!!!

21 Dec 2012     

douglas
United States

This should help a lot:

Here it is broken down in pdf as a syllabus:

Cheers,
Douglas

21 Dec 2012     

jannabanna
France

I agree with Lyny, you �ll love teaching adults!  I was trained for that and have been teaching for over 30 years.  I �ve only ever taught children at home on a private basis.  It �s quite different. 

The problem with adults (especially in a monolingual class) is that they constantly refer to their mother tongue and translate.  They also want to WRITE everything down ...... you won �t be able to change them!  Just try to speak English as much as possible, slipping in the occasional word or explanation in their language.  Just play it by ear, see how they react. 

At the Chamber of Commerce, where I worked,  we did a lot of in-company teaching so you have to be careful, they are PAYING, and they want results ..... and often quickly (which always makes me laugh!!) each student is different and they all have their own methods and capacity of learning.

Good luck and contact me if you have any more questions.

Janet

21 Dec 2012     

marie.marron
Spain

Hello Maria Jose, I teach adults in Spain and I always speak English to them. You just have to speak slowly and choose the vocabulary (at least that �s what I do), there are lots of words in both languages with the same basis. Also, I give them lots of pictionaries, and written explanations, since as somebody already told you, they need to write down everything, I give it to them already written, and we go through it (in English). On the first class I give them a sheet with classroom vocabulary, which I make sure they understand perfectly and they always have to bring it and use it to ask me something. I encourage them to try to express themselves in English, at the beginning I give them vocabulary and sentences for everything (for example, I always play games, and at the end of every unit, I play a very simple game to review the vocabulary done, one person takes a flash card from the bag and has to explain the word to the rest, so tha first time I write the structures on the board - It �s a person/place/object that, etc.). After a couple of units they do it on their own. I also suggest you to do role-playings, they enloy it very much.
Sometimes I translate some words when I really want them to understand something, but very rarely, I tell them I �m not a walking dictionary and encourage to use one. I speak only English all the time, and I have never had any problems. 

I like very much teaching adults, and if they are beginners and interested you are going to see their progress very soon. 
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Good luck and have fun,
Marie

21 Dec 2012     

mariajosefuster
Spain

Thank you very much to all of you. You have been really helpful. I love belonging to this community of English teachers!

I think I will try to speak as much English as possible, even translating some word into Spanish if I have to and in case they need to use Spanish from when to when , I won �t be too strict.

I also think I will love teaching adults, as some of you have said, if I overcome my biggest problem: I am really shy. I hope I can manage it, as I am really enthusiastic about this course, but each time I think I am going to speak in front of 16 or 18 adults, my heart starts to beat really fast. Anyhow, I really feel like doing it.

Thank you very much, again.

21 Dec 2012     

PedroSerrano
Spain

Hi, M� Jose,
You �ll realize soon that teaching adults who willingly want to learn is a much more rewarding experience than teaching children, and, of course, teenagers. They will be open to learn, though it may be really hard for some them, and they will do whatever you tell them to (again quite a change if you have been teaching teens).
Don �t worry about those things that may you make feel insecure, just enjoy the experience, and you will repeat whenever you have the chance.
Good luck, and Happy Christmas!!!!

21 Dec 2012     

lockman
Morocco

HI

With all these experienced teachers I  think I have nothing to add except perhaps for  something I did in the past and still do with my teenage high school students and it proved to be fruitful.At the begining of each year I have a sort of pact -agreement with students that on condition that only English is used through the whole stages of the lesson  ,We would have a 10 mns period for the mother tongue at the end.Students enjoy the English lesson and jot down things they like to share in the mother tongue often questions,misunderstandings,vocab related querries or sometimes the stages of the lesson or  areas of difficulties...,etc.This way is positive as I have immediate feedback to build on for the coming lessons.I hope you will give it a try.GOOD LUCK!

21 Dec 2012     

1    2    Next >