Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > What to do w/students without a book?!    

What to do w/students without a book?!

ironik
Australia

What to do w/students without a book?!

Hi colleagues,

I think we all have gone through this nightmare in our classroom: Student (s) without a book!

I �d like to know your strategies on how to cope with this problem.

In the institution I work for, we are not allowed to let students out. So, I make two students share a book but then again I feel it is unfair for the S who brought the book.

If the S sits by him/herself, at one point he will start to disturb the class.

So, especially my senior colleagues, what do you do, both to prevent and to deal with it once it happened?

13 Jan 2013      

lovegrammar
Turkey

I had this problem too but with 8th graders, if one of the students forget their book I write their name down and give them extra home work. I never let them share because then they never bother to bring in the book, or if I have some sort of game prepared that student isn �t allowed to take part. Kids don �t like to be left out so the next lesson they normally bring in their book.

13 Jan 2013     

ironik
Australia

That �s nice :) However, my students are private university ss so just sleeping is okay for them, they don �t mind not participating in the games.. :(

13 Jan 2013     

lovegrammar
Turkey

lol, hmmmm maybe start with a warning, If some one forgets their book 3 times the whole class has to do a pop quiz. 

13 Jan 2013     

ironik
Australia

haha, that �s a good idea Smile thnx!

13 Jan 2013     

Pelletrine
France

.... private university students? So, lots to bet they are not very mature... and still need to learn where the borderlines are on what, and what not to do : they haven �t yet learnt to be responsable for their own learning : YOU have to show/tell them, make them responsable ... so, you have to MAKE them bring their book: seems to be a good idea not to make them share: I too think they wont often forget their book if you DO �T let them share with a neighbour student ;o)))   

13 Jan 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Hi Ironik,

I have to face this problem from time to time.Ermm
I always have some essay topics on hand.Wink
If you don �t bring a book, you have to write an essay and hand it in by the end of the lesson.

It keeps Ss busy, they don �t disturb the other Ss & they �re still doing something useful (Make a point of correcting the essay, even if it �s just underlining mistakes & give it back.  That way they know that u read the essays so they can �t just write rubbish)

Most Ss hate writing essays!LOL So, that usually does the trick...even if it takes a couple of essays before they do!

Hope this works for u.

Regards
Alex

13 Jan 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

You might ask the student why he or she doesn �t have the book. I don �t know what it �s like in Turkey, but here in the USA, college textbooks are often extremely expensive. Students sometimes can �t afford both the class and the book. If that �s the case, try to put a textbook or two on reserve at the university library so the student can check it out. Maybe the student can photocopy the most important pages. Or have an extra copy in the classroom for such students. I would be sensitive in this situation.

If it �s just forgetfulness or not wanting to lug around the book, then you can give the essay or take points off the grade, assuming that you put in your syllabus that daily classwork is one of your grading criteria.

Or even more punitive: if someone forgets the book three times, they have to give a 3 minute impromptu speech to the class on a subject of your choosing, in English, of course. Call it "make-up" work for the points off for forgetting the book. Possible topics include "Why I Want to Learn English," "Study Habits of Good Students," and "Tips for Improving Memory." You could even combine them: first offense, warn the student; second offense, write the essay; third offense, speak in front of class.

I �m glad my community college provides books for the students to use in class, at least at my level. They can �t take the books home, but I don �t have to worry about the students forgetting or not affording the books.

13 Jan 2013     

jannabanna
France

I don �t know what the set up is in your institution, but if you have room somewhere (a cupboard that locks...)  you could collect the books at the end of the lesson and leave them there.  That way they don �t leave the building.

If they have homework to do from the book, they could either copy the exercise in their notebooks or you could photocopy the page for them. 

I often had this problem and that �s what I did, because some of them (always the same) always had a good excuse for not bringing their books.

Janet

14 Jan 2013     

lipofootoo
United States

Make photocopies.

20 Jan 2013