Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "in" or "at" the warm-up stage?    

"in" or "at" the warm-up stage?

ironik
Australia

"in" or "at" the warm-up stage?

Hi friends,
I have seen both "in" and "at" used with the word "stage". I was wondering, is one of them wrong, or does it make a difference in the meaning?

In the pre-listening stage, I referred to the book but did not repeat the instructions; and at the while-listening stage, I did not check comprehension.

Can we use them interchangibly?

Thank you and have a great Saturday Heart

19 Jan 2013      

yanogator
United States

When used with "stage", "in" would mean "during" and "at" would indicate the situation. It �s somewhat like the difference between a continuous tense (which emphasizes the duration of an activity) and a simple tense (which just gives the information).

In your examples, you are talking about a stage of a lesson, so "in" would be best, because it is about the activity and its performance.

If you are talking about a stage of development of a student, then it �s similar to talking about the student �s age or level, so you would use "at".

It wouldn �t be wrong to use them interchangibly, but you would lose a natural distinction.

Bruce

19 Jan 2013     

ironik
Australia

Thanks a lot, Bruce, I am enlightened! Smile

19 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s a nice distinction, Bruce. I wasn �t quite sure how to answer this.

19 Jan 2013