Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > (to) ski + 3rd person    

(to) ski + 3rd person

Mietz
Germany

"Skis" it is. Smile Thanks again!

@ logos
I do usually trust non-natives, too. And I agree with you almost completely. But I�d rather go with whisky (Scottish Single Malt - no ice - actually) - to make my accent more Scottish. It seems to have helped already. (That and having lived there maybe.) LOL I wonder if drinking tea makes my accent more English. The Scottish drink a lot of tea, too though...

22 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I tend to trust the non natives or experienced natives like zora....because logos is right... just because I speak it doesn�t mean I know why! In fact I really was shocked at just how complex this darn language really is to try to explain to someone else why things are so!!!! I have learnt so much these past few months from all of you! And will be on a very steep leaning curve for a long time to come!
ps: the coffee didnt help AT ALL LOL

22 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Hello and good morning!
To Eliana

The word ski does not end with a Y

Ladybird�s explanation was perfect -skis and skies are two different things.
To Logos - I beg to differ.  In all my English classes I had grammar lessons from
1st grade to 12th.  That�s a lot of English lessons! You sound like the only ones working with grammar are people who studied English as a second language.
That is certainly NOT the case.

L

22 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Sorry Libertybelle, I�m afraid I am from the old country where I suppose we just assumed that everyone knew what they were talking about.  I suppose I did some grammar at school, but to be honest it went in one ear and out the other - guess I should have paid more attention.  Seems as if we are divided by a common language - Me English goodly speak!!!

22 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Good morning Libertybell!

I wish I had more grammar at school, of course we did it but we never did the explanations like why is a verb here before/after  this word or X must always come after Y if it is present progressive etc....
I think the States and Canada have a far better grammar teaching system than NZ (from what I have seen and heard). The higher up you go in NZ English at school it is mainly about books reading, interpreting and comprehension, Shakespeare and a bit of creative writing, writing a presentation, speech or debate. Hopefully that has changed since my day!
Of course we do loads as we go through the school system , but it�s just the way it is explained is very very different.
I wish so much that I had incorporated some ESL style explanations into my classroom teaching of native kids over the years. The curriculum in the UK for example is sadly lacking a lot!
But I openly admit that at the moment I am still learning the whys :-) and no one should really trust me 100% just because I am native LOL

22 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

Definately "skis" (unless she spends most of her time the air   Wink)

Thanks Mietz, I just learned something new about the difference between "whiskey" and "whisky".  For me it�s definately "whiskey".

Logos, the one advantage a native speaker has is that built-in sensor that says "that just doesn�t sound right".  That native intuition can�t be ignored; it is usually correct and more up-to-date than a lot of the rules that were written (and taught) many years ago.  You said yourself that language is "a consistent set of rules or variables", you just have to remember that the "consistency" is also variable.  Otherwise we would still be saying thee and thou.  I can�t wait until the day I can spell "night" as "nite" (or light/lite) and be correct--it will happen it will just take a long time.

Douglas

22 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

@ douglas
If your German is up to it, then do read "Take it easy" by Dietmar Urmes (if you haven�t already). It explains where a lot of the English spelling and words are coming from. Very interesting and entertaining! Just a pity that hasn�t been translated into English... :-(

22 Jan 2009     

Logos
Malaysia

Douglas, you are totally right.  I actually had a student this morning, who, when asked to recognise sentences which should be in the Present Perfect as opposed to the past, she actually gave the right answer and said "That one feels right".  I said to her that she was learning much more about using the language than being able to explain that the present perfect is made with the verb to have plus the past participle!!!

22 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, lets start with a couple of reasons why it would be �skis� and not �skies� from a phonological perspective.

We can discount the fact that �ski� is a Norwegian loan word because �sky� is also derived from Old Norse, so you�d think that would make them more likely to be similar in construction... but what sound does �ie� make in a word? What consistencies in English do we find in word construction to represent the different sounds?

Does anyone know any other word where there are 2 consonants followed by �ies� to make the �ee� sound? I�m trying to think of another, but can�t... I can certainly think of many where there is one consonant followed by �ies� to make that sound (robberies, bakeries...)

If anyone can think of one, please let me know!

p.s. LibertyBelle - when I started school in the 70�s they had pretty much gone to teaching �natural English� & dropped formal grammar from many syllabuses. I hate to say it, but it sounds like you went to school with my grandmother.... LOL

p.p.s. I�m not quite on the planet at the moment, so I hope my post wasn�t too all over the place...

22 Jan 2009     

threshold
Turkey

It�s definitely "skis"

but the past form is "skied"

22 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >