Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to introduce grammar ?    

How to introduce grammar ?

Elo22
Belgium

How to introduce grammar ?

Hello everyone !!
I�ll give a lesson about subject and object pronouns + possessive adjectives and I don�t know how to introduce it. I�d like to find an attractive and funny way to indroduce this topic...
Can you help me ? Do you have ideas ?

Thanks a lot

23 Jan 2009      

Mietz
Germany

Do you teach adults or children? I made a printable for that for adults (focus business English), but there are loads of worksheets on that subject here on the side.

I�d recommend - for adults or children - to make them see, what a pronoun is for.
Mietz put a text in Mietz�s worksheet where Mietz completely took out all the pronouns. The text sounds totally strange. Can Elo22 imagine speaking without pronouns? Try to make the children make up texts without pronouns (with Mietz the students found the exercise helpful in the student�s mothertongue compared to English.) Gosh - Mietz can�t write without pronouns anymore. Hope Elo22 got the idea. The idea is just a suggestion of course. :-)

23 Jan 2009     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Hi Elo,

Sometimes I do the following dynamic: I get a small ball and throw to a S and then I say: THIS IS NOT MY BALL, IT�S YOURS, then the S throws to another S and says: THIS IS NOT MY BALL, IT�S HIS/HERS

you can also change the diolgue to practice the personal pronouns. Throw the ball and say:
-IM NOT MADONNA, YOU ARE MADONNA.
-NO, I�M NOT MADONNA, HE/SHE IS MADONNA

in groups:

-WE ARE NOT THE ROLLING STONES, THEY ARE THE ROLLING STONES

HOPE IT HELPS!!!!
A LITTLE KISS AND GOOD LUCK(*.*)

23 Jan 2009     

lilytech
Argentina

there`s a practical book called " How to teach grammar"; it mentions different methods including sample lessons.

23 Jan 2009     

Elo22
Belgium

Children who are about 11 or 12

23 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

I like showing Grammar Rock (in this case "Rufus Xavier Sarsparilla")--I have even used it successfully with adults!  The Grammar Rock videos are all available on YouTube--search "grammar rock"and you will be overwhelmed.

Douglas

23 Jan 2009