Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Help with children    

Help with children

chrisl1
Peru

Help with children

Hi everyone,

My whole life I�ve worked with young adults and adults, now I started at a new place and was assigned a group of 6 kids ages 7 to 9, my main problem is that I have no idea of what to do with them. Some help please I�m a little desperate.

Thanks in advance

Chris

7 Mar 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Here are some tips:
http://busyteacher.org/7935-adults-children-differences-every-teacher-should.html
http://busyteacher.org/4261-how-to-teach-young-learners-one-step-at-a-time.html
http://busyteacher.org/12710-young-learners-magic-of-needs-analysis.html

Sophia

7 Mar 2013     

khaledxp
Tunisia

I think your main concern is not what to do with them but how to do it with them. I mean you shouldn �t worry about what to teach. You should worry about how to teach.I had taught teenagers aged 15 to 19 then about 10 years ago I started teaching young sweet devils aged 12 to 15 and they were two different worlds. I suppose you �ll face 2 major problems : first keeping them quiet .Second, catching their attention for long. I partially solved the problem when i stopped thinking as a teacher and tried to become their friend and that was the toughest job. It is not easy to win a kid �s confidence when you aren �t used to their world. I suggest you stop worrying about the material you �ll present in class and do some reading about teaching young learners. The net is loaded with it. I hope I am not frustrating you but believe me I had met some hard times with my kids. Now,it �s Ok

7 Mar 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

The main difference will be attention span.  3-5 minutes per year old of the kid.  That �s what you will get at one go.  Focus them for a short while, then give them a minute to drift and refocus them.  Younger ones will be more energetic and will need more direction. 
My rule of themb is to set up the rules, and stick to them, so they know what to expect.  You can be their friend, but you have to first establish that you are their teacher, and don �t throw any surpirses at them.  Follow established teacher behavior and show that you care.  Don �t be afraid to smile, but also don �t let them walk all over  you.  Once they know the bounderies, (which can take a few weeks to get in place) things will feel less chaotic and begin to run more smoothly.

You have your material.  Just use it.

Finally, I found this book helpful.

Best of luck.  Have fun!  Dar

7 Mar 2013     

libertybelle
United States

You are now teaching beginners to speak English.
So go back to the beginning.
Start with a vocabulary that relates to your student �s own life - that will keep them focused.
There are lots of vocabulary worksheets here.

Most young students like to work with:
My Family - make a family tree worksheet and have them learn father, mother, etc
My hobby
My pets
My school
My favorite sports
Foods I like and don �t like
Name things in the classroom
My bedroom
Toys I like
Friends
Rooms in the house
Things in my house
A day at the beach
Seasons
Days of the week
Telling time
My town
Clothes
things we do. (sleep, read, walk, play, jump, eat etc)
Learning directions - (right, left, forward, backward)
Read short stories - in the classroom and let them read for each other in pairs.
Sing songs
Play music and sing along.(lots of learning songs on YouTube)

Teach beginner grammar:
verbs
nouns
adjectives

These topics will create a sound foundation for other things later on.
Play learning games, board games, show short films from Youtube with English subtitles.
Memory games, I �m thinking of a person game - pair work.
Find a picture or take a picture of the kids in the classroom doing things and let them describe what they see - in pairs.
They speak much more in pairs than in the classroom.

Look around here for elementary worksheets and start working - it �s fun and young kids are very motivated.

Good Luck
Libertybelle

8 Mar 2013     

helena2009
Hungary

Dear Chrisl, Teach them with songs and games: you canu engage them and reinforce what you teach. Eg. Simple present Do you know the muffin man? Have got Queenie, Queenie, who �s got the ball? Good luck Helena

8 Mar 2013     

joass
Spain

Sent you a PM

8 Mar 2013