Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Help with Special needs Students    

Help with Special needs Students

kristynofis
Chile

Help with Special needs Students

I need help with students with special needs

Is there a handout with activities or a resource book in which i can trust I have An asperger student in highschool with a seriuos case of depression and non motivated.
I know it �s a big challenge but i need help.
Please in all the skills
An also i have students with ADD 

8 Mar 2013      

papadeli
Greece

Have a look here

Greetings from Greece,

8 Mar 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

1. Make sure he gets into a psychiatrist.  He may need medications for his depression. 
2. Get a therapist involved, to try to teach him ways to battle his depression.
3. As a layperson, and not a professional thearapist, you can help him to change his thinking.  Focus on positive thoughts rather than negative. 

People often think that bad feelings lead to bad thoughts.  It is the opposite.  If you think negative things you feel negative.  If you stop yourself and try to think positive thoughts, or just realistic thoughts, you can affect your mood.  For example: if you think to yourself, "everything is going wrong this morning, this day is going to be rubbish. " You feel negative and unhappy.  But if you can keep things in perspectice "darn that went wrong, but it �s just one thing.  It won �t affect my whole day" This is a more realistic thought.  And keeps you from feeling so negative. 

Most of this happens in your head.  If  he �s old enough to understand this explain it to him.  If not, try and take his negative statements and try to reframe them in ways that are more realistic.  Just be patient and consistent and you should see results.

Find more info here.

Best of luck.  Dar

8 Mar 2013     

carolznha
Brazil

I can �t say much at this moment since I �m in a hurry, but as an English teacher and Psychologist I would say that you have to work around the areas of interest of the Asperger student, that alone can motivate him/her.
The ADD students need to be contained, things should be interesting for them. Try to use as much visual and kinesthetic stimulation as possible. 

8 Mar 2013