Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What ´s the correct verb form?    

What ´s the correct verb form?

lurdesilva
Portugal

What ´s the correct verb form?

Hi everyone!

Please, help me with this sentence because I ´d like to be sure about the correct answer.

At the moment Sarah ´s family is sitting / are sitting in the living room.

Can we use both verb forms (I know that ´family � can be used before a singular or plural verb)?
Thanks in advance?

11 Mar 2013      

yanogator
United States

Yes, both are correct. It depends on how you are considering them. If they are a group to you, then it ´s "is". If you think of them as individuals, then "are" is the choice. I would usually use "is".

Bruce

11 Mar 2013     

lurdesilva
Portugal

Thanks a lot, dear Bruce!
That ´s what I usually do. I was just making sure I was right.

11 Mar 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

In my mind, family is a collective noun; such as herd, swarm or class.  So i would use ´Is �.

11 Mar 2013     

lewisronaldc
United States

You and Bruce are correct.  Both uses are grammatically correct depending on context, which with are can be ambiguous .   In additon, I have never had a conversation with any native speaker where they used are,  and seldom, if ever seen are used in writing with family.  I am teaching my esl writing and speaking classes to use  "family members"  [with are]  so their other teachers cannot say they are wrong, which has also happened.

Ron

11 Mar 2013