Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Some things that annoy me    

Some things that annoy me

missola
Palestine

Some things that annoy me

Hi to all colleagues here:
At first, I was very hesitant to write but later I found that I have to do it. Actually I wasn�t sure in which category to classify my topic, so I choose " concerning worksheets".

Well, what I have to say is very much related to the worksheets uploaded everyday. Alot of you have commented on people who download but don�t leave comments so I won�t talk about that. But what is really annoying me are the ways that some users act. I have noticed that many users create worksheets similar to worksheets made by others users when they see how much successful were the worksheets. so they follow the same style and techniques and never try to be creative. I think it is ok to get some ideas from others but I don�t think it is ok to be like a photocopier.
Another thing that annoyed me is the repitition of some topics in writing the worksheets for example if one user did a worksheet about holidays, for example, and many users downloaded you will see that the next day or days several users will try to make worksheet on the same topic. What annoyed me about this is not me but I feel a little sad for the ones who made the first worksheets. why don�t you apprecaite what others do and download their work instead of creating other worksheets imitating others� work so you could get extra points.
The third and I think will be the last point is that I feel that some users feel that we are in a race where the ones who have more worksheets and downloaded more will get a trophy. I know some will get angry from what I am saying but I don�t mean it really. What annoys me in such situations is that we are not paying aattention to new members� contributions. Many times I feel that users don�t notice some great worksheets done because they were busy downloading a set of worksheets done by a very active and excellent member. I like the work done and I don�t like missing any good worksheet done by the active members here and I really appreciate their hard work but why don�t we limit the number of worksheets uploaded for each member in a single day? Don�t you think it would be better?

I know I wrote too much but it is only what I felt I have to say.

24 Jan 2009      

sibelbayindir
Turkey

I absolutely agree with you. Thanks for expressing your opinion about this subject. You are totaly right.

24 Jan 2009     

freddie
Canada

I`m afraid I have to take issue with your comments.

I think learning from each other is a fantastic aspect of this site. If people copy a style or a topic and and then members download it then obviously that teacher has learned something new and tried it out and if members download the printable then they felt they could use it! If it werent useful noone would download it. I havent noticed exact copies of anything, but then maybe I missed it?

I certainly dont understand where you get the impression people are racing to get a trophy. I get the impression that people are getting inspired and encouraged by positive feedback and want to do more. It`s addictive in a fun way. Then, they get points for their work, I dont see the problem there.

That said,  I think your concern about ignoring new users is certainly worth noting but I think that point can be made without criticizing successful contributors. Its not their fault everyone loves them :)

By the way I like your worksheets : )

24 Jan 2009     

puddyd
Oman

I agree too. A while ago there was a problem with the system and we were not able to download anything for that particular day. Well it actually forced me to go into the old worksheets. It was great and I discovered so many great worksheets made by some of the other members , who are not as popular.
Maybe Victor could take a day off and give us 30 free points once a week to go through the old worksheets instead of new ones...What do you think of that suggestion ;)

24 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

GSmileSmiled afternoon my dear missola! Good afternoon to you all!

I find it interesting that you brought this issue up, because I myself have sometimes wondered if those "next day so similar"  worksheets, whether in content (topic) or design,  came up by sheer coincidence. Well, probably some did and some didn�t, but there�s no way to find out. And I�m afraid there isn�t much we can do about it either. But there�s one thing we can do, and you have already done it  - talk about the issue here at the forum and make people think about it.

Many will say that we all teach the same topics and of course they will come up time and time again. That�s a fact. But that�s not the point. The point is, if I understood you well,  we have contributors that see that a particular worksheet was very popular and they make right away a similar one hoping, I think,  that it will be as successful, or even more successful than the other contributor�s.  The more successful the worksheet is, the more worksheets  will appear on the same topic the next day. Yes, I believe you�re right, if it was that successful it must mean that the worksheet is really good, so why make another one the next day??

As for the last topic - your feeling that there is a race going on, well, there might be, and personally sometimes I think there is, but I must confess that that doesn�t bother me or affect me in any way. Well, it doesn�t unless we�re talking about the points mentioned above or unless the user makes 10 uploads to gain more points when he/she could have made only 1 or 2 !!! That annoys me and I always send a private message to the contributor or leave a comment on the worksheet.

A nice evening to you all!
mena

24 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hi there missola,
I know we all have different opinions on things but here are some of my own personal opinions in response to your points.
1. Some worksheets are similar in layout. I do not think it is because they see how successful how some worksheets are copy them, but in that there is often a good balance between design and content. A clear easy to follow format and design will always be popular. Personally I love worksheets that have the grammar points explained in brief at the top or tips on what to remember before going into the exercises. It is great for me and the students.
2: Repetition of topic: again I do not think anyone is doing what you suggest. Many schools have a set curriculum on when topics are taught. With over 100 000 members there are going to be times when we are doing the same in our groups and classes. I think members here appreciate the worksheets and download what is suitable for them and their students. If some worksheets are not being downloaded then I would suggest that the content is not suitable for their needs at the time. Many of us teach over a vast range of ages and abilities also so while one holiday sheet might be good for early learners it is not going to go far with my conversation classes. Because of this I always check most worksheets, it helps a lot if people write good descriptive headings that reflect what their worksheet is about with a sentence or two in the description section. THAT catches my eye when I can easily see a topic or grammar point I am interested in. For me appropriate and useful content as well as good clear and uncluttered design are important to me. Sheets that have an activity that will last 5 minutes because there is no content on the page is of no use to me, no matter how nicely it is designed.
3. Regarding uploading limits per day. If you look closely over a period of time it is NOT the regular contributors that are contributing more than 1-2 per day. It is the new members who upload 10 colouring pages or new members that split a 3 page worksheet into 3 downloads even though it is very clear there is no way it could be over 300kb.
People will notice what they think will fit their students needs the best. So I am sorry but I disagree with you comment very much on this point.

I am sorry that you feel this way about some of the issues that you think are happening.
This reply is completely just my own opinion and sometimes its good to look at things from a different perspective, don�t you think?

24 Jan 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

I quite agree with missola. This is not a race although some people think so and I also agree with mena22 when she says we all teach the same topics and they�ll come up time and time again. That�s why I sometimes try to upload different grammar subjects or not so common ones although it�s not easy. I desperately try to be original!!!!

What I have noticed too is some people copy other people style or design hoping to get as many points as other contributors do or even more. 

But as mena22 says, what can we do about it?

Big hugs!!!!!! Smile

24 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

I have to say  that I am a big fan of your different grammar points itxasobcn :-) You are a good example of someone who has worksheets of good clear design and content!

ps: please don�t take offence but I do remove the coloured backgrounds before I print but I also project the colour version onto the screen so I get the best of both worlds :-) I still think your worksheets are "the bees knees" :-)

24 Jan 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

Dear cheezels,

Thanks very much for your comments!!!!!!!!! I�ll try to improve to create even more interesting worksheets.

Big hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hug

24 Jan 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Nope big hugs to contributors like you and mena and a whole lot of others that have made my life so much easier! I am new to ESL and everyone�s wonderful work has helped me to make the transition from normal classroom teacher with native English kids to the big wide world of ESL so much easier! I have learned so much from you guys!!!

In fact... is this a group hug I feel coming on???? hehe HugHugHugHugHug

24 Jan 2009     

S�lvia73
Portugal

Well, first of all I would like to thank to all the ESL teachers for their contributions, and many of them are truly fantastic. In fact, I think points are what matters the least.

This site has made my life much much easier. I�m so overwhelmed with work I hardly have the time to post in this forum, although when I download a worksheet I never do it without leaving a comment... but that�s a different story and that�s not the point. I�ve always tried to do my best as a teacher, but since I joined this wonderful group I feel different, more motivated, I produce different material and I believe I�m not the only one.

What I want to say is that here teachers help and inspire teachers. We learn from one another. And that�s what�s important!

So, once again, thank you!

24 Jan 2009     

1    2    3    Next >