Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > English outdoors?    

English outdoors?

Irnalonso
Spain

English outdoors?

Hello everyone!
I �m new here and I think this place is highly useful. I would like to ask for advice. 
I �m teaching English to children age 12-13 in Madrid. Last class, the wheather was so pleasant that I took the children to the park.
We worked with prepositions of place. I prepared a version of "Simon says" asking then to place themselves between the trees, on a bench, next to a streetlamp... They had a lot of fun and I think they really learnt something about prepositions.
My point: I can �t come up with more activities outdoors and they have begged me to repeat the experience. 
Can anybody help me? I �m open to all kind of suggestions. 
Thanks for you help!
Best regards

Irene

15 Apr 2013      

anitarobi
Croatia

If you wish, try this activity here. It �s a giant board game you actually play outdoors, and you can change the topic to suit what your students like.

15 Apr 2013     

Irnalonso
Spain

Thanks a lot! I �ve just downloaded it and in process or reading but I think it will work very well. I �ll make some little alterations to fit my needs. It �s clear you put a lot of work and imagination in it!

15 Apr 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

http://www.wikihow.com/Play-What �s-the-Time-Mr-Wolf
http://www.wikihow.com/Play-%22Mother-May-I%22
Hi,

Congratulations on taking your students outside!  Many teachers hesitate to do that.

There are some ideas above for you,

Cheers,
Esther

15 Apr 2013     

Irnalonso
Spain

Nice ideas! 
Thanks

15 Apr 2013     

maceman
Canada

Hello Irnalonso

I think you �ll find some ideas here:

15 Apr 2013     

isabellep
France

Hi !
I also take my youngest pupils out to play with English.
I have flashcards (any subject can do). The pupils line up in front of me.
One side is "right", the other is "wrong".
I tell them a statement about the flashcard (this is a blue ball) and they have to jump ont the good side.
Those who don �t are out...
repeat until there is a winner !

Enjoy

Isa

15 Apr 2013     

Irnalonso
Spain

That �s a very good idea, isabellep. It �s easy and enterntaining. 
Thank you everybody for your suggestions. You have been really helpful and I have a handful of ideas to prepare my classes. 

16 Apr 2013