Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is "fon:" an acceptable abbreviation for "tel:" (telephone)?    

Is "fon:" an acceptable abbreviation for "tel:" (telephone)?

douglas
United States

Is "fon:" an acceptable abbreviation for "tel:" (telephone)?

Hi All,

I just had an agency return a translation I did and they had changed my abbreviation "tel:"  too "fon:".  

I don �t recall ever seeing this abbreviation (fon) for telephone/telephone number used in English.

I suspect the agency is using a German abbreviation that is growing in popularity.

Is this something I have missed, or did this agency just make a mistake?

Douglas

18 Apr 2013      

libertybelle
United States

No you haven �t missed a thing - the  agency is unprofessional.
I �ve never, ever seen that abbreviation. -and hope I never do!!!Tongue

18 Apr 2013     

douglas
United States

Thx Liberty.   We�ve had a few other problems with this agency, so your conclusion is not far off.

18 Apr 2013     

dmharg
Greece

i search babylon tranlator. i typed the word fone  and it says that it means telephone. It is from the greek word � �foni � � which means voice :)

18 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No, fon or even fone is not an abbreviation for telephone. �Tel � in writing and �Phone � in speech. 

18 Apr 2013     

yetigumboots
Germany

Even the Germans say Tel:  short for telefon- I have never seen Fon:

xx

18 Apr 2013     

douglas
United States

Thanks everyone for confirming what I was already pretty sure of, but needed a little more support to convince my colleagues.

yeti--That�s what my German colleagues said too, but I was able to show them differently, it is trending in Germany at the moment (especially for business cards).

Cheers,
Douglas

19 Apr 2013