Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Oblivion movie    

Oblivion movie

mari_18cf
Brazil

Oblivion movie

This is a trailer: 

https://dotsub.com/view/83c14e67-8570-4ec1-a658-ca885470378d?utm_source=player&utm_medium=embed

Could you help me out with the meaning of the hilighted words?

(Jack) The last Superbowl was played right here. (Victoria) Please don �t tell me it was a classic. (Jack) Classic game. 80,000 people on their feet. Seconds left on the clock. So Hubie throws a Hail Mary. Touchdown!  One six six, back online. 60 years ago, Earth was attacked. We won the war, but they destroyed half the planet. Everyone �s been evacuated. Nothing human remains. We �re here for drone repair. We �re the mop up crew. This is Jack Harper. I �m good to go. (Victoria) Two more weeks, Jack, then we can finally leave, and join the others. Don �t take any chances. [growling, snarling] [gunshots] [silence] (Beech) I �ve been watching you, Jack. You �re curious. What are you looking for in those books? Do they bring back old memories? (woman �s voice) We have an unidentified impact .... (Beech) Don �t ask too many questions. (Jack) They are human. (Victoria) NASA �s ordering you to return to tower. (woman) Jack.  (Jack) How do you know my name? [gunfire] They �re firing on survivors! Stand down! What have you done? (Victoria) I can �t protect you. (Jack) They won �t stop until they find me. (Beech) If you �re looking for the truth -  - that �s where you �ll find it. You need to know what happened. (Jack) What aren �t you telling me? Who are you! Jack, he �s ordering you to stand down. (Jack) I �m not going to do that. This is the only way. 

18 Apr 2013      

isabellep
France

Hello !
drones are little planes without pilotes. They are programmed to fly or radio guided.

mop up 
"First they will have to mop up the mess created by the outgoing adminitration"
It can either mean "solve" or "eliminate"

Hope you find it useful
Isa

18 Apr 2013     

douglas
United States

"mop up"- means to clean up (like you would use a mop to mop-up spilled milkf orm the floor) so in this case they are there to clean-up the mess the other administration made.

19 Apr 2013     

Jehanne18
France

Hello!
Jack Harper and Victoria live on a platform on planet Earth which has been invaded. So together they form a crew: Victoria staying on the platform and checking everything is right around Jack thanks to cameras and computers, and Jack goes outside to repair the drones (flying round shaped robots), and checking everything is ok.
A great film indeed! I have seen it last Tuesday, and did not think it would be like that, I was surprised!
Are you preparing a worksheet about it, Mari?
Well, have a good day!

19 Apr 2013     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Great! thanks

19 Apr 2013