Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need help with three questions    

Need help with three questions

caren_630
Egypt

Need help with three questions

Dear colleagues,

Can someone please provide me with the answer for these three questions and the reason for choosing past or present perfect in each sentence, please?

1- My parents (spent - have spent) their 20th wedding anniversary in Mexico.
2- My Granny (made - has made) a delicious cake for my birthday.
3- Molly and Henry (visited - have visited) us at Christmas.

Thx a lot,

20 Apr 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

As an American English speaker, I would use the past tense for all three, not the present perfect. They are all actions that were completed in the past at specific times, with no ongoing action.

Here are some changes that would make the present perfect correct:
1. My parents have spent their last five anniversaries in Mexico. (up to now)
2. My grandmother has made me a delicious cake for my birthday every year. (up to now)
3. Molly and Henry have visited us at Christmas for as long as I can remember. (up to now)

20 Apr 2013     

zoemorosini
United States

I agree with MoodyMoody to a point.  #1 is definitely simple past, as an anniversary is a brief, finite moment on the calendar.  However, I think #2 could use present perfect if, for example, you are receiving a guest and bringing them in to show them the cake your grandmother just made you.  Grandmother might even be there to take praise.  In #3, you can use both, depending on what you are trying to communicate.  If you use simple past, you are referring to a specific, single, past Christmas visit.  On the other hand, if someone claims "Molly and Henry never visit anyone at Christmas," you would use the present perfect to disagree, because you are not referring to a specific past visit, just that they visited in a non-specific past time, or several times in the past (though you don �t mention the dates).

Hope this helps!!!

20 Apr 2013