Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > About the use of the article    

About the use of the article

-eva
Spain

About the use of the article

Hi dear colleagues,
I �ve got a question about the use/omission of "the" in the following sentence:
I was exposed to the rain and the wind and (the???) cold weather tended to shorten battery life.
I �ve copied the sentence litteraly from my course book resource pack and students are meant to correct mistakes. The thing is, I �d personally leave "the" before cold weather, but the key says "omit it".
Have you got any clues?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Eva

26 Apr 2013      

jannabanna
France

The key is correct!  As a native speaker - no doubts -

I was exposed to the rain and the wind and cold weather tended to shorten battery life.

Janet

26 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �m not happy about this sentence at all. (Maybe I need to get a life?)
Shouldn �t it be it was exposed to the rain... referring to something that the battery is in? Also, it should be tends because it �s a general statement, not something that happened once.

The would be needed in the following sentence: It (my phone or whatever) was exposed to the rain and wind and the cold weather shortened the battery life. In this instance, you are referring to that particular patch of cold weather.

Well, I have thoroughly complicated matters!

Edit: is it metaphorical - i.e you ran out of puff???

Lynne

26 Apr 2013     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne, but the sentence definitely needs a comma, either after "rain" or after "wind", depending on which it was exposed to, and which shortened the battery life.

Either
   I(t) was exposed to the rain, and the wind and the cold weather (It works with or without "the") tend to shorten battery life.

I(t) was exposed to the rain and the wind, and the cold weather tends to shorten battery life.

I(t) was exposed to the rain and the wind, and cold weather (speaking generally now) tends to shorten battery life.

And you thought you complicated matters, Lynne!

Bruce

26 Apr 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

...shorten it �s battery life. Hhhhm. I can only imagine what we are talking about here. Big smile Ed

26 Apr 2013     

-eva
Spain

Thanks a lot for your more than useful contributions.
Lots of love,
Eva

29 Apr 2013