Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A question    

A question

hallouma
Algeria

A question

Hi colleagues,

Is the use of the verb dumb in the following sentence correct? If yes, I wonder if anyone of you could express it differently. Thank you in advance.

here is the sentence:

The goal of computing is to make the things smarter. But, will this lead to dumb people with less control of technology?

27 Apr 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

it �s not a verb here but an adjective
3 (informalespecially North American Englishstupid
Sophia

27 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Something like, �The point of using computers is to make things �smarter �. But, will this lead to dumbing people down and giving them less control over technology?

27 Apr 2013     

simonelin
Brazil

The "to" before "dumb" is not for making infinitive, but it actually goes together with the verb "lead" that comes right before it.
For example: I think this road leads to my friend �s house.
                     This bad behavior will lead him to destuction.
Dumb is not a verb.

Hope this helps.

27 Apr 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Using �dumb� is not the done thing (i.e. not tactful)

Dumbing down is fine and what many people use.

Personnally, I�d be more inclined to change your sentence based on my recent experiences in a numeracy support role.  Basically, many of today�s high school graduates can�t do basic maths.  They don�t know their timestables much beyond five.  They can�t  do basic mathematical operations in their head. They are totally reliant on the calculator in their smartphone! 

This can apply to other areas too, like handwriting.  Handwritten work isn�t acceptable in many office environments now, or even post-secondary/tertairy institutions.  I�ve heard that cursive writing isn�t even taught in some schools now. In today�s world many things need to be submitted in typed/word processed format, often e-mailed or submitted online via a computerised method such as an ipad, smartphone etc. Even banking is just about totally computerised.  In fact, we have to pay much more for over the counter transactions because the banks want us to do it online.

Then there�s the GPS, which we all love and simply must have.  Before too long people won�t know how to read a map because they are reliant on the GPS, now in their smartphone, to tell them where to go. 

And finally, where would all we ESLprintables addicts be if it weren�t for computers? And, do we have a breakdown when the site breaks down? When the site breaks down, how many times a day/hour/minute do we check to see if it is back up again?  And if it�s not up by Monday morning, how do we feel/react? 

My suggestions:

Computers enable us to work smarter but will they take away our ability to think about and solve problems in a non-computerised environment?

The goal of computers is to make us work smarter.  But, will we be smart enough to operate with out them?

The goal of computers is to make us work smarter.  But, will this lead us to a breakdown when they break down?

The goal of computers is to make us work smarter.  But, will this lead to a breakdown in society when they break down?

The goal of computers is to make us work smarter.  But, will this lead to people being totally reliant on them and unable to think for themselves?

My two cents worth for a sunny Sunday morning.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Apr 2013     

jannabanna
France

To dumb down IS a verb - as cunliffe says - it �s a phrasal verb.

Happy Sunday everyone,
Janet

28 Apr 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Some great points have been made. If, hallouma,  you want to keep the words as they are (and of course, dumb is an adjective), you really need a comma.

.....But, will this lead to dumb people, with less control over technology? 

28 Apr 2013     

hallouma
Algeria

Thank you great colleagues.

28 Apr 2013