Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Present perfect or past simple    

Present perfect or past simple

aldonza
Spain

Present perfect or past simple

Hi,

My question is perhaps too simple but today I�m not sure about which one is the correct one.

"I 
have stayed/ stayed all the night up to finish the book I was reading"

which one would you use?

Thanks in advance

1 May 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It depends! I have stayed up all night to finish the book I was reading = recent past, or you are telling someone what you have just done. (Actually with this one, I would prefer, I have stayed up all night to finish the book I �ve been reading.)

I stayed up all night ........... That could be last week, last month, you are reporting back on a something that no longer pertains, or has any relevance to the present. 

I �m sure there �ll be others who can explain this better. 

1 May 2013     

Mariethe House
France

Well, dear Lynne, I don �t quite agree with you , will you forgive me?Smile

I �d say the Present perfect woud imply an experience , for example: Have you ever stayed up all night,
Yes , I have stayed up all night a few times.
In this case( Aldonza �s example), it implies that the night is last night so it doesn � belong to the present and you  would need the simple past: I stayed up all night.
I can imagine another situation where the Present perfect  could be used: Let �s imagine I come into your staffroom tomorrow morning and I look awful ( more than I normally do) and you say:
 - Oh gawwd Marieth�! You look really awful this morning! What have you been up to?
And I reply:
- Oh  yes! I have been up all night!( telling you about an experience ,the results of which are clearly visible in the present!)
- You see i wanted to finish the book I have(had?) been reading and I stayed up all night!!( Now I am talking to you: The night is finished and it is morning , so the moment: "night" belongs to the past, hence the simple past ) 

What do you think? I am sure more eminent grammarians will submit more specific answers than my poor attempt!Wink

1 May 2013     

mariobmoreno
Spain

Well, for me I stayed up all night to finish the book I have been reading would be the most suitable option. I you want to maintain the I was reading, I think that it would be Ok as well.

For me, the fact of being awake all night is a completed and past action (simple past), while the fact of reading a book is something you don �t do at once, it takes you some time (is a durative action which has lasted almost up to the present = present perfect).

1 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

Actually, Mariethe, Lynne just didn �t explain herself quite specifically enough. She is saying (Forgive me, Lynne, if I am putting words into your mouth) that if dawn has just arrived, you could say "I have stayed up all night finishing the book I was reading (if I just started it in the evening)/I �ve been reading (if I started it any time before yesterday evening). If you say it any later than that, you have to use the simple past.

I hope this helps, rather than further complicating matters.

Bruce

1 May 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thank you, Bruce, Isn �t English funny?

2 May 2013     

aldonza
Spain

It is clear now.
Thank you so much to you all !!

2 May 2013