Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Workbooks    

Workbooks

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

Workbooks

Hi

Can someone recommend work books that stand alone?
By this I mean that they either don �t require a CD or come with the only cd necessary included.

The English school for children where I work has always taught through games and activities with the occasional worksheet and never used any books, but some parents are starting to request that at least some of the class be spent on more academic English.

We �ve decided to use workbooks / activity books but not course-books, in this way we �ll teach the grammar and vocabulary in the usual fun way but the children will have worksheets to help them practise.

Something like Happy Street, except that requires a very pricey CD sold separately, which isn �t worth buying if you don �t plan on using the class book as well.

I know the English File workbooks are independent but these are for adults..

The ages we are thinking about are between 9 and 14

Thank you!

4 May 2013      

silvia.patti
Italy

Why don �t you create it, using some worksheets from this site?
Silvia

4 May 2013     

karagozian
France

I agree with Silvia.  You can use the worksheets from this site and progressively making your own.  The best worksheets will be the ones you created yourself.  They will exactly correspond to what you are and your pupils needs !!  Good luck !

5 May 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would strongly advise having a course book. Single worksheets and ppts from here can enhance that, but I think it �s vital to follow a set course. Why re-invent the wheel? There are some excellent course books available. I use �Project �. There are three books. 1, (beginners), 2 and 3. Once they have completed Book 3, we move on to �Solutions � 1 and 2 - these are for intermediate and advanced students. �Project � comes with CDs and DVDs. Also, there is a student �s book and a work book. I �m not at school until Tuesday, but if you pm me with your email address, I �ll forward details. I know of other good course books as well, (one is called �Go! �) but they also are at school. Do let me know if you want further details. 

Lynne

5 May 2013     

Iciar
Spain

If we take into account Gardner�s multiple intelligences, there is a new way of teaching in schools and it definitely don�t go with working with textbooks all the time, but it does with using them from time to time as a support for learning (when I say textbook I mean worksheets and activity books as well).
In the traditional way, only pupils with verbal linguistic or logical-mathematical intelligences managed to success, now I am sure that I need to provide activities for pupils who are bodily-kinesthesic, for example, who were the ones that usually failed in the traditional way of teaching. If you have your targets clear and explain your way of teaching to the parents, I don�t see why they are not going to support you.
Of course you will use different worksheets form time to time, to provide for verbal linguistic students and spatial, but they can also achieve doing a map mind and explaining it to the rest of the pupils + in my experience the more pupils stand and talk and the least they read and write in the beginning, the quicker they learn a new language and the better they learn it, why? because you create a situation similar to language immersion, children have to complete different activities but they must use English.
Try to explain your reasons to the parents, it is very difficult to break away from the traditional way of learning but much more successful. How many of us have been learning English all our life and still don�t know it properly?

5 May 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I doubt if anyone would advocate working with text books all the time, but I would find it strange to be working without them altogether. It sounds like a recipe for chaos and bits of paper, paper everywhere.  

Personally, I think speaking MUST be the starting point, but I believe that speaking should lead to writing.  Literacy is vital, isn �t it?

Pity this thread is at an end; it might have got interesting. 

5 May 2013