Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is it OK?    

Is it OK?

sirhaj
Malaysia

Is it OK?

Dear everybody,

How is the expression "dress me up and call me Sally"  used? can I use it in formal events like a school assembly?

Can I change it into " Glam me up and call me Barbie" as it sounds more contemporary and familiar, perhaps.

Thank you,
Sirhajwan

4 May 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Sirhajawan, I �ve never actually heard that expression, but I think you can use the basic format with any variation you want, probably to express surprise, or to be ironic. The one I use is �knock me down with a feather �, not quite the same. Here �s a useful link. 

I think it �s probably informal language, but it �s not going to cause offence, apart from this kind of thing, �Well, slap my arse and call me Denzil.�

�Glam me up and call me Barbie!� I like it!

I hope this helps.
Lynne 

5 May 2013     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I think that the expression comes from a film. I just can �t remember which one at the moment. I don �t think that it is appropriate language for a formal event as it is said by a man! I will just try to google it now...

OK none the wiser! Other than the reason that it sounds familiar is because it is a kind of chunk that comes in varying forms.

Here are some suggestions from one of the sites that I found:

Some other examples of that kind of wisecrack are:
...roll me up and call me curly...
...blow me down and call me shorty...
...dress me up and call me Sally...
...grease me up and call me slider...
...knock me out and call me ignorant...
...butter my butt and call me a biscuit...
...paint me purple and call me Barney.

Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081210143935AASs51m

Cindy

5 May 2013