Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > linking with relative pronouns    

linking with relative pronouns

oumsalsabil
Algeria

linking with relative pronouns

Hi guys,
I want esl members to discuss with me how to link the two sentences below with the relative pronoun WHOM because i �m a bit confused
James king is an American inventor. We give him all the credit  for the invention of the washing machine.
Do we say: James king is the American inventor whom we give  all the credit  for the invention of the washing machine.
or/ James king  ,whom we give all the credit  for the invention of the washing machine, is an American inventor.  
And what about the relative pronoun whom, can we leave it out since it replaces the object of the verb in the relative clause? 
Please do provide me with answers qiuckly if you can because I will work on the sentences with my students this morning. THANK YOU A LOT.

6 May 2013      

anaram
Spain

Both sentences are correct and there are some other options, it depends on what information you want to emphasize; what you think is additional would go between comas if you make a non-defining clause. I prefer the first option because I had never heard of this man before so all the information comes to me at the same level.

As for deleting the pronoun, you can only do so in the first case, in non-defining clauses the pronoun is compulsory

I hope it helps.

6 May 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

You need to say to whom, because if you are using whom, which is rather old fashioned and formal, you should be absolutely correct. I would think that anybody English under the age of 14 would understand the meaning of this, but wouldn �t ever use whom.

Unless you are writing for an academic paper or such, I would say,

�James King is the American inventor who we give all the credit for the invention of the washing machine. � it �s clumsy though. �who gets all the credit � is better - but I understand that �s not the point here.

As for the position of the clauses, it depends on what you want to emphasise, as anaram says.  The first one emphasises that he gets the credit for inventing the washing machine and the second emphasises the fact that he is an American inventor. 

6 May 2013     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne.

You can �t leave "whom" out of these examples.

Bruce

6 May 2013